Ch. 13 ~ Eda's Fright Night

The day of Eda's Halloween party arrived. Eda's house was transformed into a nightmare for Halloween. Outside, the front yard was adorned with inflatable ghosts, witches, and pumpkins that swayed gently in the night breeze. Dim lights hung on the walls, casting eerie shadows and adding an unsettling glow to the rooms. In the backyard, the pool had turned blood-red, illuminated by simple LED lights. Dry ice added a misty touch. For a chilling game, a tub filled with floating eyeballs replaced the traditional apples for bobbing.

The living room was draped in cobwebs, with fake spiders. Jack-o'-lanterns grinned from various corners, their shadows flickering on the walls. Eda's kitchen boasted a cauldron filled with a mysterious punch, bubbling with dry ice, smoke emitting from it. The dining area featured a long table adorned with black tablecloths and Halloween-themed centerpieces, like miniature witch hats and skeleton figurines.

Luz was sitting uncomfortably beside Eda's bathroom door, scrolling through her phone, waiting for Eda to finish getting ready. The party venue was empty so far, as it hadn't officially started yet.

"Come on, Eda! Hurry up!" Luz called through the closed bathroom door.

Inside, Eda grumbled as she struggled to change into her Batman costume. The tight fabric and itchy mask weren't making the process any easier. "Hold your horses, kid! This costume is a torture chamber."

After what felt like an eternity, the bathroom door creaked open, revealing Eda fully decked out as Batman. She shot Luz a disgruntled look. "This is the worst. Why did I agree to this?"

Luz, with a mischievous grin, couldn't contain her joy. "Eda, you look amazing! The Dark Knight has never looked so... grumpy."

Eda huffed, adjusting the tight cowl. "I feel like I'm being strangled by my own cape. This is a crime against comfort."

Luz, bouncing on her toes, grinned. "But we're matching! Batman and Robin, the most fearsome duo!"

Eda scoffed. "Don't get too happy. It's just a costume."

As they made their way to the kitchen to grab some snacks, Luz noticed a familiar poster from the set hanging on the wall. "Hey, Eda, where did you get that poster?"

Eda glanced at the poster with a smirk. "Dana gave it to me. They created too many and gave me one."

Luz grinned, appreciating the Owl Lady's missing poster. "Nice! It adds a special touch to the place."

As they chatted, Luz was caught off guard when Alex sneaked up on her in a Hooty-Joker costume. Luz jumped, her eyes wide. "Whoa! Alex, you scared the life out of me!"

Alex, in his Hooty-Joker costume, chuckled. "Haha the scare master strikes again and his first victim Luz! So what do you think of my costume?"

Luz laughed, looking at the Hooty-Joker mashup. "It's... uniquely terrifying. Wait is the duo now a trio?" Alex and Luz celebrated excitedly. Eda smirked, watching the two act like they solved world hunger. "Well, it's not a party until someone gets a good scare."

Eda poured herself a glass of deep amber liquid, the rich color catching the dim lights. Luz, catching sight of the drink, couldn't resist her curiosity and asked, "Is that some special Halloween punch?"

Eda chuckled, taking a sip and shaking her head. "Nah, kid. This is the grown-up stuff. Not for little robins like you. Stick to the punch bowl; it's got your name on it."

Luz grinned, "Got it, Eda. But you know, I'm not that little. Almost 16, you know. I can handle a bit more than you think."

Eda smirked, amused by Luz's spirit. "Well, well, aren't you growing up fast? Still, it sounds like you're still too young to be drinking."