Chapter 24

Kaival and Siara's eyes darted to the direction of the voice. Stood there was an immense creature holding a mangled woman with bloody clothes. Kaival's whole body tensed up.

"What have you done to her?" Kaival's breathing was heavy with anger.

"She's alive, boy. I was going to take her to another pack's doctor since ours is... unavailable at the moment."

Kaival growled.

"What are you doing with your brother's mate? Where is he?" Akel glanced at Siara. "Did he come home just to die in your hand?"

"Are you sad?"

Akel let out a weird voice that sounded like a continuous choking. "I have to admit that I'm actually impressed. I kind of regret throwing you away when it should've been him instead."

"Did you just laugh over the lost of your son?"

"I never want a weak son, and you just proved how weak he is. You are my one and only real son now."

"Why am I not happy to hear that?"

"I wonder..." Akel stepped down the stairs with Mareen, unconscious and damaged in his arm. "Why don't we just become one happy family and conquer the world together, son? I mean, look at us now, both holding the women we love, we already look so alike. I'll let you keep her, assuming you want her as your mate?"

"Not interested, and I'm nothing like you." Kaival said to the monster standing tall right in front of him.

"Are you sure? It would be such a waste for me to kill you."

"Leave mom here and let's bring it outside."

Akel glanced at his unconscious mate, pondering the chance of her to stay alive with her state. "If that's what you want," he said.

He walked to the side of the house with an arched entrance facing the training field, and put Mareen's body down the large couch next to a window facing the same area. He brushed her hair with his claws before he left her there and went outside waiting for Kaival. Kaival followed him and put Siara down the couch next to his mother.

"Looks like you're gonna have to wait again," Kaival whispered.

"Kaival..." Siara gloomed.

"I have to do this, Siara."

"But he's-"

"Massive? Dangerous? Yeah, I can see that. But if I let him, we can never live our life in peace knowing that he can and will be a destructive threat for the rest of the world."

Siara bit her lips. "Promise me you'll stay alive," she said.

"I promise, and this time I will keep my words," Kaival brushed her swollen cheek and kissed her torn lips gently.

Siara held on to Kaival's hand until the last second, and kept watching his back walking outside to challenge his father. Once he was out, she groaned, feeling the pain from her broken thigh and hand. She bit and ripped a long piece of cloth from the bed sheet covering her body to wrap around her broken bones. She struggled doing it with one hand, but she managed to tie the cloth tightly. She panted from the exhaustion while looking at Mareen who was still unconscious.

At the training field, Kaival was standing 5 meters (6 feet) away from Akel, both looking alert but incredibly calm.

"It's a pity that it has to come into this," Akel said.

"We haven't even started yet, let's talk about pity later," Kaival replied.

"I will still give you the chance if you decide to change your mind later."