Chapter 2

(HandClap By Fitz And The Tantrums)

Karl's Pov

I looked over at Cara who was smiling at Chandler. Those two were so in love with each other. I'm calling it right now, they are going to get married. Nobody can change my mind.

Cara turned, and looked up the stairs really quick before turning to me.

"Cora's birthday party?" Cara whispered, a smile on her face.

"I have it almost all the way planned. Need to invite a couple more family members" I said, looking down at my phone, and starting to get the text together.

Cora's birthday is in two weeks, but I have a surprise party planned the weekend before Cora's birthday. She was born on Christmas, and loved every second of it.

"Let me know if you need any help." Chandler said, with a tight lipped smile, looking at Cara.

"I need you to set up for me, if you can." I spoke with a smile. I was going to make sure that she had the best birthday before she went away to college. I wanted this to be one for the books.

"I'll be distracting her all day, so if you need more help, ask my parents. I know they will help." Cara said quickly and stopped speaking once we heard footsteps running downstairs.

"Hey! Are you ready?" I asked, as she nodded her head quickly.

"I'll see you guys later." I said, looking back at the couple who smiled.

Cora grabbed my hand as we walked out of the door. The pastel yellow dress she was wearing made me breathless, her yellow nails to match. She wore white sandals, and had her hair down.

"You look beautiful as always." I said, opening the car door for her. She laughed and got into the car.

I walked around the front of the car, smiling to myself before getting in.

"Thank you. You look handsome as always!" She laughed, mocking my tone, and I just smiled at her.

There is absolutely nothing in this world that is better than hearing Cora Davis laugh. She is my soulmate.

"So where are we going? What letter are we on again?" She asked, looking down at our shared Google doc.

"We are at P. So we are going on a picnic." I responded and she closed out of the Google doc and shut her phone off.

She turned around and looked in the backseat. I knew that she would do that when she found out we were going on a picnic.

"What did you bring?" She narrowed her eyes at me playfully, and I felt myself laughing as I pulled up to our spot.

"Nothing." I responded, getting out of the car and opening the trunk of the car.

I heard the passenger door open, and I shoved the blanket into her hands playfully. She took it and ran to the front of the car, laying it out.

I grabbed the food I brought, closed the trunk and walked over to her. She was laid out on the blanket, staring up at the sky with a smile on her face.

I sat down next to her, which caused her to sit up with a smile. She started eating and I just watched her. Anything she does, she still is always so beautiful.

"Are you gonna miss me?" Cora said, laying on her stomach, and kicking her feet in the air.

"Of course I'm going to miss you." I spoke, trying to hide the fear in my voice.

Fear of missing her so much that it consumes my everyday life. Fear of losing her. So many fears come with this, but I know that I have to face them head on.

"I'll call you everyday. I promise." She smiled, laying her head on my leg.

I brushed my fingers through her black hair. She had brown, but she dyed it black and fell in love with it. I fell in love with it too. In all honesty, I fall in love with anything that involves her.

"Nothing is gonna change between us." She spoke, while I just continued to play with her hair.

"I know. We've got this." I said, and she nodded her head.

"Plus we still have a couple months together before I leave. Then I'll be back for winter break. These summer classes are going to kill me." She huffed, and I felt myself laughing at her anger towards her summer classes.

"You are the one who wanted to take as many classes as you possibly could." I said before she sat up and faced me once more.

"Well I want to become a lawyer as quickly as I possibly can." When she spoke, her eyes filled up with passion.

I knew how much she wanted to become a lawyer. I know how much she wants this for herself. It's her biggest dream, besides owning a cane corso, and having a big house.

She wanted to be a lawyer, and I thought that it was the perfect job for her. She's a ray of sunshine, but she has no problem standing up for what is right.

"Did you ever figure out what type of lawyer you want to become?" I asked her and she nodded.

"Which one?" I asked and she shook her head.

"I'll tell you when I graduate!"

I never knew that there were so many different types of lawyers you could become. Cora told me all about it the night I helped her apply for Florida State.

I read her essay for it, I helped her fill out the right application, I helped her start her goals. She at one point didn't know what she wanted to do.

Cora always wanted to be a lawyer, but then all of the sudden, she over thought it. She ended up scrambling around to figure out what was going on.

She gave up on her dreams for a good little bit of her life, but then she got them back, and I've never seen her happier.

John, Cora's dad, was a truck and bus driver. Ever since Cora started talking about going to college, he started working more so he could pay for her to go.

He didn't want her to pay for college all by herself. Even though Cora had almost a full ride, and had enough money to pay her college debt off, John still wanted to be there for his daughter.

While Colleen, Cora's mother, didn't want her to go to Florida state. Colleen was supportive, believe me she was. She just didn't want her daughter to go far from home.

It was almost a 9 hour car drive, so Cora couldn't just come home every weekend like Cara has been doing.

When Cora went there, she was stuck there all year around until winter break. She picked up classes during the summer so that she could graduate early. She was prepared for her goals.

"Thank you for always being there for me, Karl." Her voice brought me out of my mind and I felt myself smiling.

"I'll always be here for you, Cora. I love you."

1194 Words