Chapter 17

(Carolina By Harry Styles)

Karl's Pov

"Where is Cora?" Cara shouted as I walked into the house.

I'm back in North Carolina, without Cora. She went back to Florida, after three days of talking to Julie, she had to go back to Florida.

I offered to go back with her, but she didn't let me. She didn't want me to. I know that's because she was scared of us getting close again. In the past three days, she's been completely vulnerable, and then she completely blocked me out.

"She's not here." I responded, sitting on the couch in Chandler's house. Chandler gave me a tight lipped smile.

"What?" Cara looked at me with a frown and I felt myself feel terrible.

"She has a lot going on right now. She needs to be in Florida."

She was planning a funeral, she was working this case, and she was mentally going through a lot right now. She needed to be home.

They both fell into silence and I felt myself fill with fear. Cara is going to yell at me. I feel it in my bones.

"So Karl..." Cara started and I felt myself fill with even more anxiety.

"Listen, i did not do-" I started and she held up her hand.

"We are all going to Florida for Cora's birthday. My parents invited you." I bit my cheek as I listened to her speak. I messed with my hair.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

"The plane ticket is there if you want it. Just... Don't do what you did last time." Cara said, her tone clipped by the end of it.

"I think he understands." Chandler spoke with a laugh and I shook my head.

"I'll go."

Will i?

***

I sat in my car at our spot, watching the sun set. This place is my favorite place. I love coming here. I love feeling so close with Cora.

It makes me feel so like we are still together. It makes me feel like we are here together. I'm just waiting for her car to pull up.

Everything in this state reminds me of her. There is nothing that I don't notice that doesn't remind me of Cora Davis. I have her blanket in the car, from all of the nights we spent at this spot.

Her hair tye that has been on my wrist for years. The couple times it almost broke, I cried. The bracelets she gave me. The necklace. I still have everything that Cora gave me, and I still use everything.

Maybe: Cora Davis

Hey, it's Cora.

Hey its karl

I know, dumbass.
Did you get home safe?

Yeah did you

Yes. I did.

Why do you text so formal
I hate it

Why do you not text formally?

Cause thats weird

You're weird.
Anyways.
Did you know that Julie and I have the same phone number just different area codes and I think that's so funny.

Now i know how to reach Julie if i need to

LMAO
Goodnight Karl.

Goodnight Cora. I miss you.

514 Words