Chapter 18

(Mess It Up By Gracie Abrams)

Cora's Pov

I walked through the doors of my house. Taking my heels off and putting them on the shoe rack by the door.

"Apollo!" I sang out, and heard his footsteps run down the stairs of my house.

He ran around me in circles, his tail wagging as he ran around. I walked out into the kitchen, opening the glass sliding door and he ran outside.

I grabbed my phone, scrolling through my contacts, hitting the facetime button on my sister's contact.

"Cara, hows-"

"You do know you called me, right?" His voice cut me off and my mouth hung open as I looked over at the camera.

He was lying in bed, dark room except for what I assumed to be light from a TV. His hair curled to the side. He gave me a smile and I rubbed my face with my hand.

"I'm sorry. I was trying to call Cara. I must've hit the wrong contact or something." I quickly spoke and Karl laughed.

"It's okay... How are you?" He asked, and Apollo barked.

"Good. Trying to figure out what to eat..." I trailed off, opening my cabinets and pulling things out. Apollo barked again, causing me to let out a huff in frustration. I opened the door and he ran inside.

"You literally have a dog door made. Use it!" I said and he tilted his head at me and barked again.

"You're the cutest little asshole." I said, causing Karl to laugh.

"Are you talking to me or the dog?" Karl spoke out of the silence.

"Both." I set my phone up, before filling a pot with water.

"What are you making?" He asked and showed him the pack of ramen.

The line got quiet as I kept my back facing him. I'm too nervous to turn around and say anything. I never thought I would feel in love again. Especially with him.

I thought once I left, our relationship died with me leaving. I didn't expect any of this, but I'm not mad about it. I'm so happy. I'm so happy to have Karl back in my life again. I've never wanted anything more.

"What are your plans for your birthday?" He asked and I felt everything move in slow motion.

"Probably nothing. I don't celebrate my birthday." I shrugged, turning around and leaning on the counter in front of me.

I was wearing forest green, and I knew I looked good. Forest green is my color. It matches my skin, my eyes, and my hair so well.

"Why not?" His face morphed into confusion as Apollo laid by my feet.

"I don't know." I shrugged once more and he closed his eyes.

We both know why.

The fear of being alone on my birthday brought me back to that party. Every time my birthday passed and I was alone, it was like I was back in that house. Everyone watched me as my heart was crushed.

The fear of that exact thing happening again. Therefore, no more birthday parties. I grew to not like my birthday. Whether it was because of the anxiety of being alone, or it was because of the fact my family didn't come around.

They always tried, and one time they even came to Florida, but I was away, working. It just never works out.

"What do you want for your birthday?" He asked, the phone moving, and I saw him sitting in a gaming chair.

"Nothing. I pretty much have anything I want."

Except for one thing.

"There's nothing you want?" He asked and I shook my head.

You again.

"No. I'm probably just going to buy myself ice cream and watch netflix. Or work. I don't know if I'm working." I rambled, and he smiled typing away on his computer.

He hummed before I turned to Apollo who was laying on the floor. He tilted his head up to look at me. I smiled down at him, and his tail started to wag.

"Apollo and I are going to have a girls' day." I said jokingly, causing Karl to laugh.

"I better get pictures of it. He better get his nails done." Karl added on, causing me to laugh.

"Oh of course."

***

Music played through my speakers as I cleaned my house. I had work, then to get through tomorrow. Then my dreaded birthday.

I liked having a clean house on my birthday. So I danced around tonight, cleaning my house and singing. Everything felt okay. Everything felt normal again. Karl and I were talking again. Talking a lot. I hung up on him after eating my dinner, and we texted here and there.

In all honesty though, I'm beyond scared. I felt even more in love with Karl then I did all those years ago. It's scary. It's terrifying, but its so thrilling at the same time.

I want to date Karl Jacobs again.

827 Words