Ends

Sage

I woke up because of a throbbing feeling near my stomach again. Pain killers definitely would've been the smart decision but I refused to take them. I knew I could handle the pain, I'd been through it before. Eventually it subsides, it always does. Madd was still sleeping next to me. She had to sleep on her back because of her rib injury. Whenever I looked at Madd it just made me want to break down and cry. I couldn't believe what the girl had done for me.

With a muffled groan, I got up and silently went to the kitchen. Even though it was still early, Reid was already sitting at the table with a mug of coffee between her hands. She looked troubled. Her hair was going in every direction and the bags underneath her eyes told me she hadn't been sleeping well either.

"Hi." I said and went to sit beside her.

"You're up early. Is it your stomach?" She asked, concern etched on her face.

"It's a lot of things." I answered honestly.

"Do you want some coffee?" She asked while looking at her mug.

"No, I'm good. You don't have to take care of me. I mean, you could go home if you want." I told her. She'd done more than enough and even though I really hoped her answer would be in my favor, she deserved some sleep in her own bed, away from my misery.

"I know." She said, taking a sip from the dark liquid. "I don't want to."

"I'll be fine." I assured her.

"This isn't just about you, Sage." She put the mug on the table with a lot of force, making me jump. "You don't know what it was like seeing you like that. You were gone, Sage. Your body was here but you were gone. I'm not ready to not be here right now." She said passionately.

"I'm sorry." I whispered. She was right, I didn't know what it was like. Knowing I'd hurt her was more painful than my physical injuries.

"No, I'm sorry. Please don't feel guilty." Reid said.

Without a word, I scooted closer, caressing her smooth cheek. She leaned into my hand almost immediately. I couldn't have stopped myself from kissing her even if I wanted to. The pull I felt towards her was getting unbearable and when my lips touched hers, it seemed like a feeling of calm went through my entire being. The kiss was slow and sweet, unlike anything I'd ever experienced before. My entire body seemed to come to life. I deepened the kiss and Reid followed my lead. She adapted to my pace, letting me explore her, letting me explore a part of me I hadn't known before.

A few minutes later, the kiss ended. My thoughts jumbled, my hands clammy and my body momentarily free of pain.

"Better than I'd imagined." Reid broke the silence. A smile made an appearance on my face when she'd said that.

"Have you been imagining kissing me?" I asked.

"All the time." She answered. "This wasn't our first kiss, you know." She confessed.

"What do you mean?" I think I would've remembered something like that.

"When you were... gone. I kissed you. I thought maybe it would wake you up, stupid right?" She reprimanded herself.

My hand went over hers, making her look at me. "Please stop talking or I'll start liking you more than I already do and I don't think I can handle that. I might burst apart." I told Reid.

She wanted to reply but we got interrupted by Sidney, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

Without a word, I got up and grabbed a bowl, cereal and milk for her. She smiled gratefully and started making her breakfast. I didn't know what to do about the kids. We couldn't keep them much longer because the cops would find out we were behind this. Even though Ellen had done some terrible things, the way we handled it wasn't exactly legal and I knew we could get in trouble. I couldn't afford to get into even more trouble than I already was.