Bonus: Partner

Alex

Ugh, I'd never get used to being jetlagged. Sleeping on a plane, even though it was a private jet, wasn't something I was good at. There was too much noise and just the thought of being so far from the ground made it impossible for me to sleep. I'd taken a muscle relaxer and I felt more at ease but that's as far as it would go.

If everything went well, the only times I'd get jet lagged from now on was when I was returning from a vacation.

I'd graduated from college and majored in Economics and Business but figured I had more of a shot working in the US rather than the UK. So, I'd decided to return. My parents bought me a place a few blocks away from them. Far enough to make me feel like I had a sense of independency yet close enough so they could still keep tabs on me.

When I finally arrived at the airport, a driver was waiting to pick me up. The last two years I'd only came home for the holidays. I used to visit Sage's grave with Madd but one year I decided to skip it and the year after, I didn't find the courage to go after missing for one year. The only person I still had contact with was Madd. And that was every once in a while. She didn't know that I was returning for good. Although, I'd been thinking about it for months.

"Nice to have you back, Miss Emerson," the driver said to me. As usual, the kind words would come from the staff rather than from my parents. Although, I hadn't seen them yet. Maybe I needed to give them the benefit of the doubt. Coming back meant I had to find a way to get along with them without having mental breakdowns. I had way too much therapy to fall back into my old patterns. Although, my therapist warned me that living back here would be a huge trigger for me. But she believed I was strong enough to handle it.

If only I believed that too...

"Thanks!" I answered. I caught up with the driver and before I knew it, I was in front of my old home. I had to pick some stuff up and then I'd officially move in my own place.

Much to my surprise my parents were waiting for me as I walked in. Well, there's a first for everything.

My mom attempted a smile that didn't reach her eyes. The botox locked her face in a position that didn't give much room for movement. She gave me a kiss, or at least, she almost gave me a kiss. She was probably afraid that her lipstick would stick to my cheek, rather than to her lips.

I received a short hug from my dad. "Glad to have you back," he said with a warm smile.

"Are you sure you don't want to live here? We have enough room. It'd be nice to have my little girl living here again," my mom opted.

"Alex isn't a child anymore. She doesn't want to live with her parents," my dad defended me.

"Can't argue with that," I shrugged.

After a few minutes, I agreed to sit down with them to catch up but my mom had to leave early because she had an appointment. Probably with her hairdresser or plastic surgeon.

"So have you found a job yet?" my dad asked in a not so subtle way. Obviously I couldn't be without a job because that would reflect poorly on the family name. I fought the urge to roll my eyes and took a deep breath.

"No, I only got here an hour ago. Cut me some slack," I defended myself.

"Good," the man in front of me answered.

"Good?" I asked, my jaw was ready to drop. 

"I want to officially ask you to join the company. You'll have a fair chance to work your way up but eventually, I'd like to have you function as a partner," he beamed. This wasn't his fake charming smile, but an actual smile.