ch.7

//seokmin;

After the coffee shop meeting 2 weeks ago, Seokmin did everything possible to avoid seeing Joshua. He stopped going to the cafe and often ate alone on the stairs behind the building, which was a less crowded area. The exam period is over, but Seokmin failed the English exam, so while his friends are relaxing during winter break, he has to study and retake it in a month. Seokmin stops by the café near campus, hoping with all his heart not to run into Joshua again. He promised himself he would move on, but two years of accumulated feelings weren't easy to forget. As he entered the café, Seokmin was glad it wasn't too crowded, with only a few occupied tables. At the counter was Soonyoung, the energetic guy whom Minghao had dance classes with.

'Yo, Seokmin!' he greeted him friendly, coming out from behind the bar to give him a warm hug.

'Hoshi!' Seokmin had learned that this was his favorite nickname because Soonyoung was convinced he was a tiger. Moreover, his personality was very compatible with Seokmin's, and the two became quite close in a short time.

The two of them have a brief conversation, sharing some stories about the exams they've taken, when Seungcheol and Jeonghan enter through the door. Seokmin feels relieved when he notices that Joshua isn't with them, but his heart tells him otherwise.

'Seokmin, it's been so long since we last saw each other!!' Jeonghan tightly embraces him and sways from side to side with him.

Seungcheol also embraces his brother and invites him to join them at the table. Seokmin knew that his older brother wasn't very affectionate, but he appreciated the small gestures he made.

'I'm sorry, Seokmin. I've been really busy with exams and working night shifts for a long time, but I found someone to help you with English tutoring. He's a friend from the studio that I've collaborated with before.' Seungcheol pats Seokmin on the shoulder as he takes a sip of his whipped cream coffee.

'Ahh thank you, hyung. I hope I haven't been too much of a headache for you.' Seokmin smiles sincerely, but Seungcheol bursts into laughter along with Jeonghan. He takes a larger napkin and wipes off his younger brother's whipped cream mustache. Seokmin laughs too, feeling warmed by the whole situation.

After a few minutes of sharing stories, like how Jeonghan tried to cook for the first time and almost set the house on fire, how Seungwan got complaints from a neighbor for singing too loudly in the shower, and how Seungcheol got bitten on the butt by their dog, Kkuma, they continue chatting. It was such a wholesome time that Seokmin didn't even realize how it flew by. He looks at the clock and gets ready to leave, as he has to meet a colleague to discuss the details for the theater play they will perform at the winter festival organized by their college.

"Look at our Seokmin! He's running like he has a date." Jeonghan wraps his arm around Seungcheol and rests his head on his shoulder, resembling proud parents.

Seokmin bursts into laughter and stands up from his chair.

"Who has a date?" a voice from behind them is heard, and Seokmin's heart starts racing before he sees the owner of that voice. All three of them turn their heads in that direction, and Joshua is standing there.

"Josh, Seokmin has a date with the cute girl from class B-1!" Jeonghan turns excitedly towards Joshua, who just stares at Seokmin.

"Oh, really?" Joshua's voice sounds a bit lost, and Seokmin stays silent. He avoids eye contact with him and grabs his jacket from the back of the chair. He bows to them and then walks away, leaving the café.

Joshua takes his seat, visibly distracted by his own thoughts. Jeonghan gives Seungcheol a confused look, and Seungcheol signals that he will explain at home. Jeonghan becomes even more confused now, but he listens to his boyfriend and quickly finds a way to change the subject and the atmosphere left at the table.

Outside the café, Seokmin feels his stomach churning again and again, his heart tightening like in a vice. No matter how much he wished he could forget everything he felt for Joshua, it was simply impossible. He could only think of the expression on Joshua's face when he heard that Seokmin was going on a date, which wasn't even a real date. He didn't understand why Joshua had such an expression, why his eyes seemed both sad and disappointed at the same time. Although he had a thousand questions, Seokmin hurried to the theater hall of the university, where the whole team was waiting for him.