ch.23

//seokmin;

All that kept repeating in Seokmin's mind were Joshua's words and his scared reaction when he returned from the bathroom. It kept him awake at night, dark thoughts swirling about what Joshua had been through to have such a response. He felt both extremely mad and sad at the same time. He wanted to find all those who had hurt Joshua and make them pay for what they had done, but at the same time, he wanted to stay by Joshua's side, to always protect him and never leave him again. It had probably been hours since Joshua had fallen asleep, and Seokmin was still gazing at the face he held in his arms. He realized that behind this fragile and delicate image he saw in Joshua on the outside, he was probably many times stronger on the inside than Seokmin could ever be.

To always have a smile on your face, ready to help those around you at any hour, even if it means sacrificing a piece of yourself, to always put others before yourself, to be kind and polite even to the most unfortunate people, it was something that Seokmin was always impressed by whenever he saw Joshua. This was probably also the reason why he had fallen so deeply in love with him.

Towards morning, after Joshua turned away from him, probably because his arm had gone numb, Seokmin managed to doze off for a short while. Due to his position in the family - being the youngest - Seokmin had developed a very light sleep due to the pranks his two older brothers used to play on him during his sleep. He heard rustling in the bed, immediately waking up and realizing that Joshua was having a nightmare. On his forehead, he was sweaty, and tears were streaming down his cheeks. He struggled as if he wanted to escape from someone's grip. Seokmin takes him in his arms again, holding him close to his chest and comforting him, gently rocking him.

"Shhh, hyung. I'm here now. No one can hurt you anymore." Seokmin strokes his back and slowly feels Joshua becoming softer, calming down.

Seokmin continues to hold Joshua close to his chest for a while, hearing the birds chirping at the window. The sun begins to appear in the sky, gradually illuminating Joshua's bedroom. Seokmin gets up and draws the curtains so that the sun's rays don't disturb Joshua's deep sleep, then heads to the kitchen to prepare breakfast.

Among the three of them, Seokmin was the closest to his mother. They owned a small neighborhood restaurant as a family business, where they had grown up. While Wonwoo and Seungcheol helped their father with serving and delivery, Seokmin spent most of his time in the kitchen, alongside his mother. He had learned the most delicious recipes and culinary secrets from her, which was one of Seokmin's passions that not everyone knew about. Because he was cooking for Joshua, Seokmin was very excited as he prepared 3 types of soups, kongnamul bap, kimchijjigae, and manduguk, along with countless side dishes. He sets the table, and as he finishes, he hears the bedroom door open, with a sleepy Joshua emerging from behind it, rubbing his eyes and tousled hair in all directions.

"Good morning, sunshine!" Seokmin smiles, the sight in front of him so adorable that his heart skips a beat.

Joshua shuffles towards Seokmin, wrapping his arms around his waist and resting his head on his chest. He looked so small in Seokmin's embrace.

"Did you sleep well?" Seokmin holds him, a wide smile on his lips, speaking calmly and affectionately to the boy in his arms.

Joshua nods and then looks up, smiling when he meets Seokmin's gaze. Impulsively, he plants a quick kiss on Seokmin's lips, enough to make his cheeks turn bright red, taken aback by Joshua's impulsive gesture. Joshua starts giggling at Seokmin's almost instant blushing reaction.

"That's playing dirty, you know," Seokmin pouts, looking at the sparkle in Joshua's eyes.

"Dirty because I haven't brushed my teeth yet or what?" Joshua starts laughing and breaks free from the embrace, turning to see what Seokmin has prepared.