♦ Prologue ♦

author's note: smut is not my thing so if you find yourself raising your eyebrow at some word choices then my apologies lol
+ for your convenience, chapters with smut will be marked with ︶꒷꒦︶ ๋࣭ ⭑ at the top

hope you enjoy!

˗ˏˋ ★ ˎˊ˗

"Let's see..." Lyney says, his blindfold tightly wrapped around his eyes. He smiles cunningly and points to the left side of the audience, then trailing his finger across it. "Lynette, would you kindly tell me when to stop?"

Lynette, also with a blindfold, waits for a few seconds before uttering a clear "stop," at which Lyney immediately pauses. Lynette takes off both blindfolds as Lyney lets his eyes drift along his hand to the tip of his finger, where he sees you at the end of it. Your eyes glimmer as you realize you have been chosen.

Lyney smiles widely, holding his arms out. "Ah, come up to the stage! It's your lucky day!" You make your way to the stage, your heart beating quickly. When you reach it, Lyney pats you on the back as Lynette leads you into a large box. She puts her finger over her mouth in a signal of silence. You nod, and Lynette then closes the door, leaving you in darkness. To your surprise, the floor begins to lower you into a compartment under the stage.

After a few seconds, the door opens, revealing a small room filled to the brim with magical props of all kinds. You walk around, looking at all the different items scattered across the floor. Suddenly, Lyney taps you on the shoulder, which makes you jump. He laughs and apologizes. Your heart is racing. How often does one get the chance to be this close to the greatest magician in Teyvat?

You take the opportunity to ask Lyney for his autograph. He nods, pulling a notepad and pen from seemingly out of nowhere. Either he gets asked this often, or he really is a true magician. Likely both. As you watch Lyney write on the paper, you take notice of his ashy blonde hair which falls softly above his face, and his bright violet eyes which shine remarkably.

"Today," he says, still writing, "I'm going to break the most crucial principle of being a magician." He finishes his little note and hands you the paper, smiling. "You'll be in on the secret as my assistant." 

"What do you mean?" You ask, looking down at the paper. You're the spotlight in my life. Lyney.

Lyney pulls out a replica of his own outfit from behind his back. "You'll be imitating me." He hands the costume to you as your eyes widen. Earlier, he had told the audience that he and an audience member—you—would be switching places in boxes. You ask him why the sudden change.

Lyney winks. "For the element of surprise. Remember...just smile and wave." He closes the box you're in and you hear his footsteps getting quieter as he travels to the other side of the room to the box you were initially inside. You quickly change into the outfit and wig, thinking, is this what it feels like to be a performer? You feel the floor rising. The audience is sitting on the edges of their seats in anticipation. You hear Lyney's box open, and the audience erupts into applause.

It's your turn now. The door to your box opens slowly, a cloud of smoke hiding your body as you step into the spotlight. The audience gasps; from their perspective, Lyney has doubled. You hold your arms out, smiling and waving as Lyney instructed you. Lyney and Lynette hold your left and right hand as the three of you bow twice. The audience continues to clap and laugh.

You're breathing heavily, and your heart beats faster than ever before.

But is it because of the adrenaline rush, or perhaps something, or someone, else?