♦ Chapter 5 ♦

┍━━━━━━━━»•» [ ⪩ ❣ ⪨ ] «•«━━━━━━━━┑

You couldn't sleep all night, so you feel immensely tired once morning arrives. You decide that it's best for you to get some fresh air, so you visit Café Lucerne once again for a cup of coffee. Once you arrive, you greet the man at the counter and ask for the usual.

Sipping slowly, you scroll through your phone. Suddenly, however, you get a phone call. It's from your father.

You and your father used to be close, but when your mother abandoned the family, he started straying farther and farther away from you. As an only child, that was when you felt the loneliness truly start to kick in. Ever since you graduated high school and moved out, your father has not called even once...until now. You hesitate to pick up the phone, but you want to hear what he has to say after all these years.

"What do you want?" You get straight to the point.

"Y/n..." your father sounds stifled. "Y/n...I...I'm sorry..."

You scoff. "Sorry for what? Sorry for leaving my life? Sorry for never being there when I needed you?"

"I...I never left, y/n...what are you talking about?"

You feel the rage start to build up. It starts in your stomach.

"You may have been there physically, but I could never count on you to help me, and I could never go to you when I felt sad, or angry...or frustrated...nothing!" You try to keep your voice calm, but the anger has reached your throat, and your voice cracks.

"Y/n, please, listen to me!" Your father pleads. "I am sorry...for all the anguish I put you through...it's just—"

By now, the rage has reached your face, and tears start to pool your eyes, blinding you. The other people at the café are staring.

"No," you interrupt him, your voice slightly shaking. "You don't have an excuse. I've had time to reflect upon my life, and I realized that your job was to raise me, no matter what. You couldn't do that for me."

The pool of tears is too heavy to stay together, and you feel them trickling down your face like raindrops on the car window. Your father is silent for a while.

"If you'd just give me another chance—"

"And why should I do that?"

"I've realized my wrongdoings, y/n, please...just one more chance..."

You're under no obligation to give this man his second chance, and all signs are pointing to no, but...you begin to recall the times when your mother was still around. The three of you would often take trips around Teyvat, sightseeing and enjoying each other's company. Even the smallest things would make her day, like seeing a pretty flower on the side of the road, or buying her favorite pastries at the bakery; so how could it be that she left in such rancor?

You clench your fists on your thighs. As much as you resent your father for his actions, you want more than anything to have family again, and that nostalgic feeling in your chest when you remember the times you spent with your parents.

"Okay." You whisper. "One more chance." You quickly hang up before your father could say anything and place your phone on the table. You sigh, staring at the cold cup of coffee. Suddenly...

"Boo."

Ugh...perfect timing.

You turn away from Lyney in a futile attempt to hide your tear-streaked face. He holds your face and turns you back to look at him. His expression immediately softens as he kneels down.

"What's wrong, mon ange?" He wipes your tears with his sleeve and looks at you with a worried expression. You look back into his violet eyes that are creased with concern. You pull his hands off your face and turn back to the table. "It's nothing..." you mumble.

"It doesn't look like 'nothing' to me, y/n." You feel chills traveling down your spine when he says your name. "Would you like to have a chat about it?" You shake your head. Lyney frowns as he stands up.

"Well..." he looks at Lynette, who shakes her head as well. "Okay, then. If you ever need me, just give me a call."

You look up at him, and he stares back at you. The breeze blows his bangs to the side softly. Tilting your head, you say, "but I don't have your number."

Lyney laughs. "Is that so? Why don't you check?"

 You're confused, but you check your contacts anyway, and there it is: Lyney, with a little heart next to it. You look back at him in awe, but he and Lynette are gone.

You smile to yourself and look back at the contact, wiping a tear away. Magic man...don't you already know you've stolen my heart?

You sit at your desk, staring at Lyney's contact, both wondering how it got there in the first place and whether you should call right now. You're not in need of any help; you just want to hear his soothing voice again. The clock ticks in rhythm, and you ruffle your hair in frustration.

He wouldn't give it to me if he didn't want me to call him, right? You furrow your eyebrows. But...

You're too nervous to hit the call button. You lean back in your chair and sigh heavily. It's only been a few hours. He'll think I'm desperate or something.

But as you stand up and place your phone on your desk, it starts vibrating.

Lyney♡ is calling...

In the process of turning around and picking up your phone, you accidentally trip over the leg of your desk chair and tumble to the ground. As you wince at the pain, you hastily accept the call. "H-Hello?" You whisper, trying to mask your discomfort.

"Oh, if it isn't y/n!" Lyney's ecstatic voice vibrates your phone. "It was taking you quite a long time to call...more than I had initially anticipated...so I took the liberty of calling first. How are you?"

You slowly stand up and sit on the edge of your bed. "I'm better now, thank you, Lyney." You find yourself smiling. It seems Lyney was also impatiently waiting for the call, but you resist the temptation to tease him about it.

On the other side of the call, Lyney sighs in relief. "That's great to hear."

For a few seconds, there's an awkward silence filling both of your rooms. You pull at the neckline of your shirt, feeling a gratuitous tension.

"So..." Lyney whispers slowly. You can feel the hesitation in his voice. "Would...you like to go on a date?"