♦ Chapter 24 ♦

┍━━━━━━━━»•» [ ⪩ ❣ ⪨ ] «•«━━━━━━━━┑

Lyney... Lyney... Lyney... Lyney...

...He's still not here? Damn it! Damn it all to hell.

"Hey, y/n...?" Your father leans over to your side of the bench. "We've been sitting here for almost half an hour..."

"Get used to it," you reply. "I'm staying here until I die."

"No you're not."

"Yes I am."

"No you're not."

"Yes, I am, now leave me alone."

There's a significant lack of response from your father, so you sigh and once again bury your face into your knees. But it's not long until you feel your arms being pulled away from you, causing you to tumble forward off the wooden bench.

Once your father confirms you have a stable grip on the cement, he pats you on the shoulder.

"Come on," he whispers. "Just a little more."

You look away from him, crossing your arms as you watch Fontaine's liveliness. Its citizens dash from one place to another, unaware of your troubles. The city moves on without you.

"...Okay," you finally sigh. "I have no clue where to go, though."

"Well, we can go back to where we started."

"Where?"

"Lyney's house," your father suggests. "He might have returned since we left."

You nod, following your father. The two of you begin to make your way back to Lyney's house.

Back where we started? Then was it all in vain?

But as you walk along the street, you feel soft drops of water on your face. They tickle your hair and soak into the cloth on your back.

"What the hell?" You mutter. "That's just great..."

Your father increases his pace, ushering you to do the same. "It's okay, let's just hurry."

But you don't get very far before you hear the sound of running footsteps and heavy breathing behind you. The moment you turn around to see what all the ruckus is, your eyes go wide as your face is grabbed by the very soaked, gloved hands of a familiar face. "Wha-"

But before you can even finish the word, you know who it is. You throw your arms around him, neither of you caring about the inconvenient rain soaking everything around you.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry..." You whisper, burying your face in Lyney's shoulder. Lyney leans his head on yours and wraps his arms around your waist. He glances at your father, who slowly scuttles away with a smile.

"Sorry for what, y/n?"

You look up at the magician with wet eyes. "I'm sorry I ever doubted you." Whether the moisture comes from your tears or the rain, though, you don't care.

He smiles warmly and kisses your tears. "There's no need to apologize. We're in agreement now, no?"

You nod slowly and press your face into his shoulder again.

"Y/n. Look at me, y/n."

You pry your face away and look up at him. Lyney places his fingers on your chin, tilting your head upward. His gaze alone speaks softly, but his voice comes out all the same.

"Mon cœur t'appartient," he whispers. "My heart is yours." He smiles and places a long, forgiving kiss on your lips.

"Don't forget it."

"You're too worried."

You click your tongue and sigh greatly. "I've barely gotten anywhere with Felicity," you groan. "Every time we meet, I just get interrogated about Lyney or my own past. What's wrong with me?"

"Nothing, y/n," your father says. "She's just a nasty manipulator. Nothing you can do about that."

"Then what am I supposed to do?" You sit up and then slouch back into your seat. Your father takes a bite of his toast and waves his fork around.

"You can't give up," he says, mouth full. "You said it yourself, didn't you? This is important."

"I know! That's why it sucks..." You sigh again and look at your phone. "She'll be here soon." You take a deep breath. Your father stands up slowly, wishes you luck with a pat on the back, and promptly leaves.

Soon after, the woman in question approaches your table. She smiles kindly and takes a seat.

"I'm sorry," she says once comfortable.

You raise an eyebrow. "For what?"

"I wished you and Lyney prosperity with your relationship, but it seems like you've fallen out."

"What makes you say that?" You ask, suspicious.

Felicity shifts in her seat, crossing one leg over the other and clasping her hands in her lap. "You look like you're in the 'anger' stage of grief..." She calls over a waiter and orders her signature tea as you stare at her in disbelief. "...like you're about to place the blame on someone else for the pain you've endured."

"I- That's not-" You stutter and shake your head in rebuttal before realizing it's a waste of time and regaining your composure. "I'm not here to talk about Lyney."

Felicity tilts her head. "Are you sure? It's always good to talk about your emotions. You know, let them ou-"

"Felicity," you state, cutting her off. "I'm done playing your games."

She looks taken aback as her eyes naturally reshape themselves into sharp slits. "What do you mean, my dear?"

"What are you really after? Clearly, you have no intention of helping me find out what happened to my mother."

"Ah," Felicity sighs. "You've spoken to your father, I assume?" She thanks a waitress who brings her cup of tea. Stirring it slowly, she keeps her eye on the drink. "What did he say?"

"It doesn't matter what he said," you snap. "You're going to tell me everything you know about my mother." You lean forward towards her. Felicity only looks up slightly to meet your eyes.

"Everything," you snarl.