♦ Chapter 14 ♦

┍━━━━━━━━»•» [ ⪩ ❣ ⪨ ] «•«━━━━━━━━┑

The girl with silver hair and watery blue eyes entered her room and slammed the door shut. She didn't care if her father heard. He had shattered her dreams like they were just little glass eyes. 

She flopped onto her bed and wiped her tear-stained cheeks. The playing cards she fumbled with before laid scattered across the floor of her bedroom. No matter how much effort she put into her magic, it was as if the world was destined to lack a magician as great as her. 

"I'll show him," the girl muttered. "I'll show him, I'll show him." She rolled around on the well-made bed until it became wrinkled. She then hopped under the covers just before the door opened and a woman entered the room. 

"Darling Felicity," she whispered. "Wake up." 

The girl pretended to have just woken up as she sat up groggily and rubbed her eyes. Her mother looked around at the mess on the floor and sighed. 

"Did you stay up late again?" 

"No..." 

The woman smiled and sat on the girl's bed, holding her cheek. 

"Don't be afraid to tell the truth, Felicity." She kissed her on the forehead before standing up and leaving the room. 

"The truth...?" The girl whispered to herself. "The truth is that..." She held her hands up to the ceiling, revealing paper cuts from the cards. "...I'm the best magician this world has ever seen."

☁︎

☁︎

☁︎

"Y/n?"

You're pried from your thoughts as you realize you've been scowling at your crossed legs, hastily tapping your fingers. Across the bed, Lyney lays on his stomach with his face cupped in his hands.

"W-What? Sorry..." You mutter, rapidly shaking your head.

"Is there anything bothering you?" Lyney asks.

"No," you lie. "I'm..." A sharp breath of air enters your nose. "...I'm okay."

Lyney sighs and takes your hand. "I'll believe you for now, y/n," he says softly. You look at his creased eyes and subtle frown. You give him a painful smile, and he returns it warmly.

He sits up and pulls you to him by the hand, wrapping his arms around your body. "But," he whispers, "I need you to know that you can confide in me at any time."

"I know I can..." You hold him as well. "...Thank you. Really, I'm fine."

Lyney frowns. The corners of your lips quiver upwards, once again forming a mask of contentment. He leans forward and kisses you to stop the trembling as he pushes you onto your back. He scatters his soft lips all over your neck and collarbone, drawing from you little noises of satisfaction.

"So...you said you knew my mother?"

Felicity nods.

"We were friends in college. Practically inseparable, in fact. Much like how you'd describe two girls in high school," she laughs.

You watch as she looks up in reminiscence of her younger days, her pupils dilating.

"She was so...carefree. The most nerve-racking exam couldn't hold a candle to her serenity. We'd often go out to eat after her night classes, laughing the night away, haha." She sighs, her voice shaking. "...I miss her."

You don't say anything.

"She was my best friend," Felicity adds. "But then something in her changed. She seemed...distant. I didn't know what I was doing wrong. We had our arguments, but this had happened out of nowhere." Felicity looks back down at you. "Then it came to me. Her new boyfriend..."

She leans forward and stares into your eyes. "...your father."

"My father...?"

"Ever since your mother started dating him, it was like he had planted something in her brain, something to keep her away from not only me, but everyone she had ever known. She gradually stopped hanging out with me, and I saw her less and less around campus."

She smiles at you. "I knew it wasn't her fault. She hadn't done anything but looked for love. And so..."

Her compassionate expression, once resonant with memories, slowly begins to form itself into a wild craze. "...my only option was to break them up."

Now, a completely deranged woman sits before you. "But I couldn't just stop it right there, no," she giggles. "I had to go...far...farther...farthest. You understand, don't you?" Felicity reaches forward and caresses your face like a child. "You would do anything for the ones you love, wouldn't you, dear?"

Suddenly, she makes a tight fist with her hand, crushing your face as you wake up in a sweat.

Breathing heavily and looking around, you take in your surroundings. Lyney is looking at you worriedly.

"Y/n?" He whispers. "You're okay, you're here. I'm here." He reaches over from the other side of the bed and spoons you. You hold his arms, which are wrapped tightly yet comfortably around your waist.

"Mon ange," he says softly. "I know you were lying before. Please tell me what's going on."

"I...she..."

You tell Lyney of the dream you just had, as well as your previous interactions with Felicity. He listens carefully and thoughtfully, taking a deep breath when you finish speaking.

"But, um," you mumble, "it was just a dream, so...you know..."

"Even so, I think it may be trying to tell you something."

"Really? What do you think?" You turn around and face him. Both of you are on your sides, keeping each other company underneath the warm duvet.

Lyney closes his eyes in thought for a moment before opening them again. "It must be a premonition."

In this moment, you're instantly reminded of your dream with the fountain. The distorted face in your reflection does not belong to you, nor does it belong to Felicity.

"A premonition..." You repeat. "Even if it's trying to warn me, I can't just drop my only chance to find out more about my mother."

"You're right, but..." Lyney gazes at you. "...I don't want you to get hurt."

You gaze back, a tight knot forming in your chest as you stare into his violet eyes.

What does it all mean?