♦ Chapter 18 ♦

┍━━━━━━━━»•» [ ⪩ ❣ ⪨ ] «•«━━━━━━━━┑

"What do you know about magic?" Felicity asks.

You look upwards in thought for a while. Admittedly...you don't know much. You offer to invite Lyney to chat about it, but Felicity shakes her head and deems it unnecessary.

"Well, um, I do know that it's fascinating to watch Lyney's performances," you say.

"Is that so?" Felicity ponders. "But isn't it all a little...I don't know, pointless?"

"Sorry?"

"Don't get me wrong, darling. I've always been a fan of the arts." Felicity clasps her hands together and looks at the sky. "So enchanting, you feel as if you're on cloud nine."

She looks back down to meet your gaze. "Am I right? Is that how you would describe it?"

You stare at her and the eerie smile of hers that stretches from one ear to another.

"...Pretty much, yeah."

"What if I told you," Felicity says, lowering her voice. "There was more to it? More than meets the eye."

You shrug nonchalantly. "I wouldn't be so surprised."

"Then I suppose you have the right idea."

"What do you mean?"

"Haven't you ever noticed a lingering enigma surrounding it?" Felicity asks. "Magic, I mean."

You think about it for a moment before nodding in response. "Yeah, but isn't that the whole point? The mystery keeps the audience intrigued."

"There are two kinds of mystery, my dear," Felicity says, holding up a finger on each hand. She wiggles one of them. "The first, of course, is the one presented to you on the stage. It glitters in the spotlight, but only distracts you from the real mystery." She puts down a finger, leaving the other pointing to the sky.

"Magic is a lie. Nothing but evasion, deception, and trickery..." Her eyebrows furrow. "...and the magician's lies must not be exposed."

You feel your eyebrows crease, as well. "What are you implying?"

Felicity lets her hands down and smiles. "Come on, y/n," she says. "You haven't noticed?" She crosses her arms and raises an eyebrow. After seeing your confused expression, she closes her eyes and clasps her hands in prayer.

"The Magician is a symbol of manifestation, resourcefulness, and power," she whispers, quoting Lynette's performance. "But he also bears the weight of discipline, potential..." Leaning towards you, Felicity stares straight into your soul. "...and manipulation."

"Lyney isn't like that," you murmur.

"And you're sure of this because...?" Felicity asks, leaning back into her seat. "As far as you know, he's simply doing another performance; playing another trick."

"I'm sure of it," you state firmly. "He loves me, and I love him."

"Don't you see it, y/n?" Felicity stares deep into your eyes with an unwavering leer. "Magic uses facade to reach people's hearts. You," she says, placing a finger on your chest, "are simply another dove in the hat."

BANG!

Although you knew it was coming, the sound of the doorknob slamming against the wall made you flinch.

"What the hell is wrong with me?!" You yell in frustration. "I was so determined!"

Once again, the conversation with Felicity ended up being less about your mother and more about you and your relationships.

"Who does she think she is? What does she know about him that I don't?" You flop onto your bed and glare at the ceiling fan. 'Round, and around, and around, and around...

Again, and again, and again...

Over and over, you calm down, then think about her words as you get riled up again.

Eventually, you sigh and pick up your phone. Above a picture of you and Lyney, the time reads 13:06. You try to distract yourself, scrolling down pages and pages of The Steambird. As per usual, Lyney and his siblings are somewhere among the sea of Fontainian articles. Every so often, you see the Gardes and Gardemeks in action.

But as much as you try to fight it, Felicity's words begin to seep in you like tea leaves in boiling water.

Meanwhile, Lyney is staring at a text message from an unknown number. A forthright approach demands a forthright answer.

His eyes shimmer with confusion as they squint at the phone in his hand.

Wouldn't you like to know what they really think of you?