Chapter 13

You had been avoiding Wally for the past few days, ever since that little so-called moment. Every time you crossed paths, you would make up lame excuses or divert your attention elsewhere. The truth is, whenever I saw Wally or felt his presence, my heart would race and I would always feel a mix of anticipation and anxiety.

You had been thinking about it a lot, trying to make sense of what Wally means to you. It's frustrating how you can't seem to remember anything about your past except for your name. It's like your mind is playing tricks on you, teasing you with snippets of a memory you can't fully grasp.

Right now, you find yourself in the company of Frank. He's explaining something about butterflies, going on about the intricate patterns on their wings and fascinating facts about their metamorphosis. But your mind keeps wandering, unable to focus on his words. Frank notices your absentmindedness and asks if you are right.

"Neighbor, is everything alright?" He raised his eyebrows in concern even though his tone was rather high

You give him a quick nod, not wanting to burden him with your racing thoughts.

Frank doesn't seem fully convinced by your response, and he's about to say something when Eddie appears in the garden. Eddie, Frank's husband, has come to join.

"Oh, um...I had to go now, I'll catch up with you later and explain more about the butterfly, alright?"

He said with a light smile yet had the same nod in response, he frowned a little at your odd behavior and quickly excused himself, mentioning his promised date with his husband. As he leaves, you sit there alone once again with thoughts running around your head like a roller coaster

Amidst the serene beauty of the garden, you found yourself sitting on a bench, your mind weighed down by an overwhelming sense of stress. Whispers and worries echoed in your thoughts, leaving you restless and lost in your thoughts.

As you mumbled softly to yourself, you suddenly noticed Barnaby, approaching with his characteristic lazy smile.

"Sup, kiddo. You look quite lonely so I think this big pal of yours is going to spend the day with you!"

He greeted you with a friendly gesture, settling down beside you in the empty spot on the bench.

"Hey, barn... looking bright as always," you said, forcing a smile

"I know! But you looking quite gloomy, why is that?"

Concern etched on his face, he asked if everything was alright. He had noticed that you had been acting differently ever since the night party.

At first, you hesitated, unsure of how to address your inner turmoil. But as Barnaby continued to speak, his words mingling with your overwhelming stress, you could no longer contain your emotions.

"....So you see, me and Sally had a great time after the oh uh, you good kiddo?" Tears welled up in my eyes, much to Barnaby's surprise.

You had always been the one with a calm demeanor and a brave front, never showing vulnerability.

Barnaby, taken aback by your sudden display of emotion, nervously patted your back, trying to ease your distress. He attempted to lighten the mood with his trademark jokes, knowing they were your favorite.

"Hear me out, why couldn't the bad sailor learn the alphabet?"

He said, as he waited for your response which you gave a slight shrug in response before he continued

"Because he always got lost at 'C' from the ball!" He exclaimed cheerfully, grinning ear to ear

But as the tears continued to flow, his light-hearted efforts seemed futile, and his concern grew.

Placing a gentle hand on my head, he began to speak soothingly, assuring me that everything would be okay. He reminded me that I had the strength within me to overcome these challenges and that I would come out stronger on the other side.

He noticed that you still seemed on the verge of tears and knew he had to do something to lift their spirits.

Barnaby, being known for his quick wit and humor, decided to crack another joke

"You know," he said with a playful sparkle in his eyes, "crying is like a waterworks show performed by your emotions. They just can't help but put on a dramatic performance!" The corners of your lips twitched slightly, and Barnaby felt a glimmer of hope.

Encouraged by this small reaction, Barnaby continued his quest to bring a smile to your face. With a mischievous grin, he launched into a series of comedic anecdotes, silly impressions, and amusing wordplay that he knew would tickle your funny bone. He spared no effort in his attempt to turn tears into laughter.

As the sound of your laughter filled the air, Barnaby's heart swelled with joy. He saw the little glimmer in your eyes, a sign that the weight on your shoulders was momentarily lifted. Feeling his mission accomplished, Barnaby couldn't help but smile himself.

Curious about what had caused your distress, Barnaby gently asked, "What's wrong, kiddo?" With a mix of gratitude and vulnerability, you replied

"I'm not ready to talk about it just yet." Understanding the importance of respecting your boundaries, Barnaby nodded in understanding.

To bring a little more cheer to your day, Barnaby came up with a plan.

"How about we head over to Howdy's place for some hotdogs?" he suggested, knowing that the delicious treats and friendly atmosphere could provide some comfort. With a spark of curiosity in your eyes, you agreed to Barnaby's kind offer.

It didn't take you long as you two arrived at Howdy's place, the warm aroma of freshly cooked hotdogs welcomed them. Howdy was busy tidying up the shop when he noticed your arrival. His face lit up with joy, and he playfully ruffled your hair as a greeting.

"It's good to see you again, neighbor! To be honest I started to miss you already"

He said with a delightful tone as he put down the box full of fruits. You only smiled as the stress seemingly disappeared, for now.

"Hey, Howdy pal. Give us two hotdogs will ya?"

"Coming right up!" Howdy said as he began to make the order

Barnaby ordered two hotdogs from Howdy, sharing with you that this was a place where he and Wally often came to satisfy their craving for tasty hotdogs. Hearing Wally's name makes your heart stop a beat before back to normal.

Each bite brought smiles to your faces as you savored the delicious flavors. The atmosphere at the shop, filled with laughter and chatter, enveloped them in a sense of comfort and belonging.

Howdy laughed loudly every time Barnaby cracked jokes. His four arm slamming against the counter with tears of laughter from the tip of his eyes, trying to contain himself

As you finished their hotdogs, Barnaby leaned in closer to you. "Remember"

he whispered, "Whenever you're feeling down or need a giggle, I'm here to bring a little laughter into your world." You chuckled, feeling grateful for Barnaby's unwavering support and understanding.