CHAPTER 27 Mending Hearts

The hospital room was awash with the sterile scent of disinfectants, its walls painted in the muted colors that always seemed to dominate such places. Seulgi sat on the edge of her hospital bed, her eyes fixed on the window as the sun dipped below the horizon. Tomorrow, she would undergo a surgery that had the power to change her life, a prospect that filled her with both hope and anxiety.

Wendy, her best friend, sat beside her, her fingers nervously twiddling with the edge of her sweater. The air in the room was thick with unspoken words, a tension that had lingered between them for far too long.

Seulgi finally broke the silence, her voice gentle, "Wendy, we need to talk."

Wendy nodded, her eyes brimming with remorse. She had carried a heavy burden of guilt ever since that fateful day when their friendship had cracked, and now, with Seulgi facing a major surgery, she couldn't bear to keep it hidden any longer.

Seulgi took a deep breath, steeling herself for what was to come. "You remember that day, right? The day I accused Bogum."

Wendy's gaze dropped to her lap, and she nodded again. That day was etched into both their memories like an indelible stain.

"I accused him without any concrete evidence," Seulgi continued, her voice trembling slightly. "I was so sure it was him. And you... you believed him over me."

Wendy's face contorted with regret, tears glistening in her eyes. "Seulgi, I'm so sorry. I should have trusted you. I should have known that you wouldn't make such an accusation without a reason."

Seulgi gave a sad smile. "It's okay, Wendy. I've had a lot of time to think about it. You just did what you think was right."

Wendy couldn't hold back her tears any longer. She reached out and grabbed Seulgi's hand, squeezing it tightly. "But that doesn't excuse my behavior. I should have been a better friend."

Seulgi squeezed Wendy's hand in return, offering a reassuring smile. "You're here now, Wendy, and that's what matters. We can't change the past, but we can make our future better."

Wendy wiped away her tears with the back of her hand and nodded. "I promise, Seulgi, I'll be a better friend from now on."

Seulgi chuckled softly. "That's good to hear, because there's something else I want to talk to you about."

Wendy raised an eyebrow, curious. "What is it?"

Seulgi hesitated for a moment before speaking, her voice low and teasing. "You remember when you told me you have a huge crush on Joy, right?"

Wendy's eyes widened, and her cheeks turned a shade of crimson that matched her sweater. "I...I don't know what you're talking about."

Seulgi laughed, a warm and genuine sound that filled the room with a sense of ease. "Come on, Wendy. It was so obvious."

Wendy buried her face in her hands, her embarrassment palpable. "Okay, fine, I have a crush on Joy. So what?."

Seulgi leaned closer, her voice conspiratorial. "Well, here's the thing. I want you to confess your feelings for her."

Wendy's eyes widened even further. "You're joking, right?"

Seulgi shook her head, her smile mischievous. "Nope, not joking at all."

Wendy's heart raced as she processed Seulgi's words. "But...what if she doesn't feel the same way?"

Seulgi leaned in even closer, her voice barely above a whisper. "There's only one way to find out, Wendy. You have to confess your feelings to her."

Wendy bit her lip, her thoughts racing. Confessing her feelings to Joy had always been a daunting prospect, but now, with Seulgi's encouragement, it seemed like a possibility.

Seulgi couldn't resist teasing her a bit more. "And who knows, maybe once you do, I'll forgive you for not believing me these past months."

Wendy playfully swatted Seulgi on the arm. "You're terrible."

Seulgi laughed, a warm and genuine sound that filled the room with light. "I'm just looking out for you, Wendy. You deserve to be happy."

Wendy finally mustered the courage to meet Seulgi's gaze, her eyes filled with gratitude. "Thank you, Seulgi, for being such an understanding friend."

Seulgi pulled Wendy into a tight embrace, and for a moment, they simply held each other, the weight of their past mistakes melting away. In that moment, they knew that their friendship was on the path to healing.

The room filled with reconciliation, forgiveness, and the promise of a brighter future. As the two friends held each other, they realized that sometimes, it took a crack in the foundation to rebuild a stronger bond.

"In the broken pieces of the past, we find the strength to mend our hearts and build a brighter tomorrow."