Chapter 31 A Heart's Revelation

Irene's hometown was a peaceful heaven, a place where she could escape the demands of her K-pop career and find solace in the familiarity of her childhood. She had returned to spend quality time with her parents during Red Velvet's well-deserved vacation. Today, she decided to go shopping in the quaint streets of her hometown, searching for the perfect gifts for her parents.

As Irene wandered through the charming boutiques, her heart was light with the anticipation of surprising her parents with thoughtful presents. She selected a beautiful scarf for her mother and a handcrafted photo album for her father, all the while picturing the smiles that would light up their faces when she gave them these gifts.

But as she approached a small jewelry store, her heart suddenly skipped a beat. Standing just outside the shop was a familiar figure – her boyfriend, Bogum. Irene and Bogum had been dating for several months. The memories of their time together flooded back, and Irene's emotions became a tumultuous mix of curiosity and apprehension.

Irene hesitated for a moment, her hand resting on the door handle of the jewelry store. She hadn't seen Bogum in a while, and the last time they had been together, things hadn't seem perfect. She wondered why he was here in her hometown without telling her. Just as she was about to step forward to greet him, she overheard his voice from where she stood, hidden by a nearby display of earrings. He was speaking to a friend, and the words that escaped his lips froze Irene in her tracks.

"...Irene's great and all," Bogum said, his tone laced with a hint of jealousy. "But you know I only started dating her because of that stupid bet with the guys. I had to prove I could get any girl, especially after seeing her with Seulgi."

Irene's heart shattered into a million pieces at the revelation. She couldn't believe what she was hearing. The love she had believed in was shattered in an instant, replaced by the cruel reality that their relationship had been nothing more than a heartless bet driven by Bogum's jealousy of her friendship with Seulgi.

Anger and sadness surged through Irene's veins. She had been betrayed in the cruelest way possible, and she wasn't going to let Bogum get away with it.

With determination burning in her eyes, Irene stepped out from behind the display, her voice shaking with emotion. "Bogum."

Bogum turned, his eyes widening in shock when he saw Irene standing before him. The color drained from his face, and he stammered, "Irene, I didn't expect to see you here."

Irene's voice was laced with anger and hurt as she confronted him. "Is it true, what you just said?"

Bogum's nervousness was palpable as he avoided her gaze, his guilt finally catching up to him. "Irene, I can explain..."

Irene's patience had worn thin. "Explain, then. Explain how you could be so heartless as to use me for a bet."

Bogum let out a sigh, realizing there was no way out of this. He met Irene's eyes, his own filled with regret. "Irene, it's true. I started dating you because of that bet, and I'm so sorry for what I did. I was jealous, immature, and I didn't realize the hurt I was causing."

Irene's anger was mixed with profound sadness. She had hoped for some other explanation, but hearing Bogum admit the truth was a bitter pill to swallow. "You played with my feelings," she whispered, her voice trembling. "You broke my heart."

Bogum nodded, his voice filled with remorse. "I know, Irene, and I can't change the past. All I can do is ask for your forgiveness."

Irene took a step back, her emotions still in turmoil. "Forgiveness might come someday, but not today." With that, she turned away, leaving Bogum behind, his remorseful gaze following her as she disappeared into the bustling streets of her hometown.

As Irene walked away, the weight of her shattered relationship and Bogum's betrayal hung heavy on her heart. She knew that healing from this wound would take time, and she needed to reflect on her own actions and the friendship she had neglected with Seulgi. With a heavy heart, she made her way back to her parents' home, determined to make amends and find the strength to move forward, leaving behind the painful memories of a heart's betrayal.