Chapter 32 The Burden of Regret

As Irene made her way back to her parents' home, her heart felt heavy with the weight of the past. The betrayal by Bogum was a wound that cut deep, but as she walked through the familiar streets of her hometown, another painful memory resurfaced.

She thought about Seulgi, her fellow member and the girl who had once courted her with such genuine affection. Irene had always considered herself straight, and when Seulgi had confessed her feelings, Irene had rudely and firmly declined, telling her that she couldn't reciprocate those emotions. It had been a difficult conversation, one that had left Seulgi heartbroken.

But the pain didn't end there. Irene recalled the days when Seulgi had gone out of her way to make her breakfast, to prioritize her above all else. Seulgi had been selfless in her love, always there for Irene whenever she needed a friend. But Irene's heart had been captivated by Bogum, and she had chosen him over Seulgi, ignoring the hurt in her friend's eyes.

And then came that fateful day when Irene had asked Seulgi to maintain some distance from her life. It wasn't because Seulgi had done anything wrong; it was because Irene didn't want any misunderstanding or tension between her boyfriend, Bogum, and her best friend, Seulgi. It was a choice made out of fear and insecurity, and it had severed the strong bond they once shared.

As Irene walked, the weight of her own actions and the pain she had unknowingly inflicted on Seulgi came crashing down upon her. She realized that she had pushed away someone who had loved her unconditionally, someone who had always been there for her, even during her darkest times.

When she finally arrived home, Irene couldn't hold back her tears any longer. She embraced her mother in a tight hug, seeking comfort and solace in the warmth of her mother's presence.

Irene's mother, sensing her daughter's troubled mood, gently asked, "What's wrong, Irene? You seem so upset."

Tears streamed down Irene's face as she recounted the entire story, from her encounter with Bogum to the painful memories of Seulgi. She told her mother about how she had hurt Seulgi, how she had failed to acknowledge the depth of her friend's love and devotion.

Her mother listened attentively, her heart breaking for her daughter's pain. When Irene finished speaking, her mother held her even tighter and whispered, "Irene, we all make mistakes, sometimes unknowingly. What's important is that you recognize them and learn from them."

Irene nodded, her voice trembling as she replied, "I know, Mom. But it's just so hard to forgive myself for what I've done to Seulgi."

Her mother offered words of comfort, "You have a good heart, Irene, and I believe that you'll find a way to make amends. It might take time, but true friends have a way of forgiving, especially when they see genuine remorse."

After a brief silence.....

Irene sat across from her mother in the cozy living room of their family home. The air was heavy with the weight of the revelations Irene had shared, and both mother and daughter were engulfed in a solemn silence. Irene's mother, a mix of guilt and regret etched onto her face, broke the silence.