4. Adrian Brown

"Mm, taste this." Samoa let out as she held out a pastry for me to try, we were at the soft launch of a new bakery that would be opening soon. It was private and closed off to friends and families. Samoa happened to be family to one of the workers and invited me. The shit was nice and I was a sucker for sweets sometimes, so it didn't take much convincing for me to go with her.

I took a bite into the sweet flaky pastry, it reminded me of a bomb ass apple strudel. "That's good." I let out as the bell on the door went off, indicating someone had walked in. Samoa and I both turned as most people did to see who walked into the small bakery. Slight surprise overtook me for a moment seeing Jaelyn and what looked like some nigga she picked up off the corner of a random hood step in. I honestly couldn't even be surprised that was her type, but I was surprised they were here, which had me wondering who she knew to get the invite. But at the same time it wasn't like this was no exclusive shit, but it was intimate.

"That's your partner for the project right?" Samoa asked as she took a bite of another pastry with her eyes trailing Jaelyn. I nodded as I picked up my water and took a drink from it. "How's that going?" She asked, focused on grabbing another pastry to sample before putting her eyes on me. I shrugged, "it's cool. We met to get the logistics down. We're trying to finish up our parts of the paper this coming week and review each other's parts."

Samoa nodded, "seems to be going well then." I nodded as well, "yeah I guess so. She thinks she can hold a candle to me academically though." This sparked her interest as she laughed lightly. I smiled as I took in her beauty for a moment. She had a deep brown skin tone with beaytiful curly hair that stopped right on her shoulders, her East African features apparent with her slightly smaller nose and lips. She was a beauty that also had brains. One thing I couldn't deal with was a dumb ass girl. Samoa and I were just friends, but we had crossed the line. I enjoyed our time together but I made it know I had no interest in entertaining anyone beyond an occasional fuck, but she was now trying to change my mind on it, which I knew would eventually happen. It always did.

Samoa's eyes went back to Jaelyn before she looked at me again, "the girl who parties every day of the week?" I shook my head, "that's what I said." She laughed again lightly, "are you going to test it?" She questioned as I quickly nodded my head, "it was actually her idea." I began as I sat up straight, "we're going to ask our professor to grade the two parts separately to see which one she grades higher." Samoa smiled, "which we know will be yours." I nodded, "oh yeah, for sure."

She gave me another breathtaking smile before excusing herself to head to the bathroom real quick. I couldn't stop myself from looking over in Jaelyn's direction, I watched as she pranced from her seat and headed to the back with the owner, Tessie by her side. One thing that I couldn't take away from Jae was that she was a beauty, I could label her plenty of things but ugly was not one. I found myself staring at her as I took in every feature that I could from the distance. She had juicy lips, a cute button nose that fit her face perfectly with almond shaped eyes that held a slight slant. She had long lashes which I didn't know if they were hers or fake, and her eyebrows looked perfectly shaped. Her dark brown skin was blemish free, always having a glow to it. Truth be told, she was just my type. She was easily a head turner, and I knew that from the first time I saw her in class. But as I stated before, her party girl reputation preceded her, and I knew for a fact I was good on a woman like that, and adding in the fact that I didn't have time for the distractions that came with women, outside of my current needs, made it easy to ignore her.

I watched them walk in the kitchen as my eyes shifted to the nigga she came in with, he was tearing up every pastry that was placed on the plate. Not leaving her shit, I shook my head as I watched Samoa near the table again. For the next hour we finished the sample pastries and just held conversations about different topics. The last thing she decided she wanted to bring up before we decided to leave had me cursing myself for even letting it get here in her mind. "So what are we doing?"