Chapter 4

Kara hadn't been sure what to expect when she'd been shoved into one of the cars, but seeing Alor sitting in one of the front seats wasn't it

She didn't want to believe it at first, especially due to the poor lighting and the fact that he was turned away from her, but when he looked over at the man on his right, there was no doubt. Kara just gaped at him, her brain refusing to accept this situation.

Every single possibility Kara could think of that would explain why Alor was here just didn't fit the situation. Had Alor betrayed them? But why would he do it? It made no sense. It made even less sense that he hadn't even acknowledged her existence. If he theoretically had joined the enemy, or whoever these people were, Alor would have addressed it. And if he hadn't switched sides and was undercover, how would he have done that? The Eternals were mindreaders—there was no way Alor could manage to hide his intentions from them. Not to mention that he would be effectively useless to them because he had no special powers and strengths. He was just as normal as Kara.

Then she froze, her eyes widening for a moment before she schooled her expression into a neutral mask. Of course. The answer was obvious. She was here to be transformed into an Eternal. It wasn't a far leap of logic to assume that had happened to Alor. Had they wiped his mind as well?

Kara set her jaw. She would have to test it, she supposed.

"Alor?" she hissed, glaring at the back of his head, which seemed to be enough to make him flinch. He looked back at her, his eyebrows creased and his eyes full of shock.

"How do you know my name?" he asked, blinking. Kara cursed inside her head. It surprisingly actually hurt a bit to get a confirmation that Alor indeed didn't recognize her anymore, but like hell was she going to let that show. She had to focus on convincing Alor to help her. Maybe, even though he didn't seem to remember her, there was still a part of him left, if perhaps dormant. It was worth a try. After all, Rayni had ended up remembering everything, maybe this was the same thing.

"We worked together. For years," Kara continue, leaning in as close as she could with her hand cuffed to the door handle. As if she could fight either of them, or go anywhere while flying. "Think back."

Alor looked almost panicked now. Fortunately for him, the other man cut in. "That's quite enough of that."

Kara had to force herself not to react when she realized the other man had also been a Luxarx agent. She didn't even know his name, but she knew she'd seen him at the headquarters a few times. What was going on here? Were all the former agents targeted and forced to be soldiers for Enor?

"Come on, Alor, think. You have to know something is wrong here," Kara pushed, ignoring the other man, who glared at her. Alor opened his mouth, but nothing came out. He looked like he wanted to run away from this conversation, but given that they were high up in the air, there was nowhere to go.

"I...." Alor trailed off.

"Be quiet or I'll make you," said the other man, actually looking like he wanted to hit her. Kara smirked to herself. If there was still a part of Alor left, she couldn't think of a better way to awaken it.