Chapter 17

"So I didn't dream this part?" Kara asked dryly as she once again came face to face with her former boss

"So I didn't dream this part?" Kara asked dryly as she once again came face to face with her former boss. It was just as bizarre as it had been before, though. Even with a rested mind, Kara didn't know what to think of it. In her mind, Elrin had died and was dead. She wasn't even sure why she was having such problems accepting this. She'd seen so many stranger things already.

Elrin just smiled that damned smile she always used when she was amused by the 'antics of the younger generations'. Kara guessed that was the reason she'd always used the plural because physically she looked about forty. Kara had just assumed she had been older than she'd looked.

"I'm afraid not," she replied, still smiling. Kara wanted to tell her to wipe the look off her face but refrained. Elrin would probably laugh anyway. "Welcome back. You've been asleep for twenty-five hours."

Kara narrowed her eyes. "Do you usually stalk people enough to know how long they've been sleeping?"

"Yes," she replied, walking into the main circular room with her coffee in hand. Kara wondered why she even had it. Eternals didn't need caffeine. Kara needed caffeine. She wasn't even sure why she'd followed Elrin to the table, but she was there before she could change her mind. She just stared at Elrin for a moment. "Please, sit."

Kara sighed, and did so with an eye roll. She had so many questions that she didn't even want to ask any of them. But she hated the silence, so she just decided to ask the first one that came to mind.

"What's even your real name?"

"Tira," she replied, sipping her espresso. "There is little point in coming up with completely new cover names. Not to mention that I could never remember any name Relioth came up for me."

Kara just stared at her blankly. "You were in charge of a secret service agency."

"Ah, yes, well...." She didn't continue after that, only sipped her coffee again. It was nice to know that Elrin's—and Kara would keep calling her that—apparent mysteriousness was really just not caring.

Kara scoffed. "I'm going to get some coffee." She was about to get up when Elrin stopped her.

"Just a moment, Miss Lyra," she said, suddenly looking serious. "I need you to investigate something for me."

Kara blinked. "Can't do it yourself?"

"Oh, no, I am much too recognizable. You are not. Not to mention that you have an Umbra cloaking device, and I assume you aren't willing to lend it to me."

Elrin was right about that. Kara wasn't going to give her the only thing keeping her from being found by Eternals. Not to mention that Kara didn't trust her to give it back afterward. But the thing was, Kara had no idea why she should help Elrin with anything.

"And why should I help you?"

Elrin didn't even seem fazed by it. "This is related to defeating Enor. I assume you don't want him here any more than any of us do."