Chapter 28

Kaleth had expected Mel to be mad at him for making him think something had gone wrong, when in fact things had gone as well as they could have

Kaleth had expected Mel to be mad at him for making him think something had gone wrong, when in fact things had gone as well as they could have. Aside from not leaving Yorin and Hidarion behind. Nef had seemed sure that they weren't being treated badly, though Kaleth couldn't help but wonder if he should try to get them out once he recovered a little. Though Enor wasn't an idiot, so there was no doubt in Kaleth's mind that he'd already thought of him doing just that, and it would no doubt be a trap somehow.

But Mel didn't tell him anything berating. He just hugged Kaleth and refused to let go the moment they were alone. It would be very endearing if there weren't blood on Kaleth's...everything. He really needed to take the armor off. And to do his best to pay no mind to the sick feeling in his stomach seeing the blood had brought with it. There had been no other way, but that didn't mean he liked it.

"Oh, um, Kara is mad at you for not telling her you were leaving," said Mel as he pulled away, clearly very unhappy about that. Kaleth sighed, rubbing his eyes. Well, he had sort of expected that, but that didn't mean he wanted to deal with it. He had Relioth to interrogate right now.

"Right, of course she is," Kaleth muttered as he started taking off his gloves.

"She's just worried about you," Mel said glumly, staring at the ground. Kaleth was pretty sure Mel was projecting now, but even if he wasn't, he cared about Mel's happiness more than Kara's. Which sounded incredibly dick-ish even in Kaleth's head, but it was true nonetheless.

"Well, no need. Until we figure out how to deal with this mess, I won't be going anywhere," Kaleth said, even though he would love to go get himself some clothes. But he couldn't, of course. He was too easily recognizable. "Except to Relioth's cell."

Mel's eyes widened at that. He must have already been suspecting that this would happen, surely. "Wait, what?"

"I need him to tell me how to beat Enor," Kaleth reminded Mel gently as he continued taking off his armor.

"But...but...what if he hurts you?" Mel argued, looking really, really miserable. He was practically screaming that emotion at him, in fact. How did Kaleth keep managing to upset him?

"Don't worry, love. I am far more likely to hurt him," he replied jokingly, but Mel still seemed unconvinced. Though he did look more on board with this now. "He's powerless right now. He can do very little other than talk."

"He's pretty good with words, though," Mel mumbled. Kaleth thought back to all the social media posts he'd been tagged in over the years that spoke against that, but yes, Relioth was a manipulator, though Kaleth wasn't sure if it was his words, or rather his telepathic powers.

"I'm better," Kaleth replied, smiling at Mel when he huffed out a laugh.

"You are," Mel agreed, taking a step closer to Kaleth. "At everything." And he kissed Kaleth's forehead. Kaleth blushed, unable to stop smiling. Though the more realistic part of him was quite sure that Relioth was better at certain things. Like murder. At least, Kaleth hoped so....