Chapter 29

Mel wasn't happy

Mel wasn't happy. Kaleth being around Relioth had been bad enough, but now they were just drinking together? Mel trusted Kaleth's judgement—usually—but he felt he was entitled to feeling upset by this.

Mel glared at the bag of sugar he was currently in the process of eating. He was just sitting in the storage room he'd found the sugar in, not bothering to move elsewhere. Not like he had anywhere else to be. He'd wanted to talk to Rayni about this, but she was somewhere busy with Mereria, and he wasn't going to pull her away from that to complain to her about this.

Mel grimaced, putting the spoon he'd been using into the sugar bag, letting the handle stick out of it. He wasn't being fair to Kaleth here. He'd tried to explain to Mel through telepathy, but Mel had ignored him as soon as he'd told him what was going on. He'd just been too upset to listen, and now he was really regretting it. But he was still too upset to actually contact Kaleth and apologize.

Mel sighed, putting another spoonful of sugar in his mouth. He could barely taste it now. He put the sugarbag aside and hugged himself. Eating sweet things always used to make him feel better. Or maybe it still worked, but not when it came to Kaleth.

Mel closed his eyes, letting out a deep breath. He needed to talk to Kaleth. He could tell Kaleth wasn't happy either, even though he had closed himself off too. There was no fully hiding their emotions from each other with this bond it seemed. And while Mel wasn't exactly okay with that, mostly because of Kaleth's lack of privacy, it was probably for the best.

Honey? Mel tried. He didn't want to say anything more, if only to avoid feeling embarrassed if Kaleth didn't want to talk to him. But he hadn't needed to worry, it seemed.

Sweetheart, Kaleth replied, his words laced with excitement and relief. Mel smiled to himself, but a second later, guilt made that go away. He hadn't wanted to make Kaleth worry. But he couldn't do much about that now.

Look, I'm sorry if I upset you, Kaleth continued, the guilt in his words matching Mel's. Mel really wanted to hug him right now, but since they weren't close to each other, he had to settle for just sending some loving feelings his way.

No, no, I'm sorry. I should have just let you explain, Mel replied, feeling worse with every word. And Kaleth seemed to be feeling the same way.

Oh, love.... There was a pause, but Mel could tell exactly what Kaleth was thinking right now. He was mirroring Mel's feelings exactly. Regret, guilt, sadness.... And Mel hated it.

You have every right to feel the way you do, Kaleth continued, which was followed by the approximation of a sigh. I know you hate Relioth.

Well, so do you, Mel said, frowning to himself. Right?

Yes, of course, Kaleth replied immediately. But...we need him right now.