1. Barcelona

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫
MARIA
≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

When Rachael and I landed in Barcelona we were immediately hit with a wave of tiredness, neither of us were able to sleep on the flight due to our excitement but now we were back on land I really wish I would have at least tried to take a nap.

Just after we grabbed our luggage I noticed 4 familiar faces all smiling brightly towards our direction. I returned the smile before dragging Rachael over to my family. She has met all 4 members of my family multiple times now and was more than comfortable with them.

"What are you all doing here?" I spoke before giving them all a hug and then picking up my little brother to give him an extra big hug.

2 years ago now my parents decided they wanted another child but decided to go with adoption and that's when they got Mateo or as I like to call him, Matty. He's now 4 years old and the cutest little guy I know.

"Nosotras pensamos que seria una agradable sorpresa," my father spoke before I quickly shook my head at him.

"Papá, remember the rules!" A few years ago my family and I decided to set up a list of rules. When we are around someone who doesn't speak Spanish too well, we speak English. That was the main one and often it was always my father who forgot.

Also, it was nicer for my mum as since moving to Spain she will find it nice when able to speak English more often as her Spanish has never been perfect.

"Oh, sorry. We thought it would be a pleasant surprise is what I meant to say," he said correcting himself as I put Mateo back down onto the ground.

"Thank you," I said giving him a quick nod and a thumbs up.

"So, Rachael sweetheart how are you? We haven't seen you since your birthday!" My mother said as she took my friends hands into her own.

"Well, I'm never going to be great with Maria as my best friend but I'm certainly as good as it gets," she chuckled before earning a small slap on the arm from me which caused her to wince dramatically when I knew I didn't even cause a red mark to appear on her arm.

"That's good to hear," my mother then let go of Rachael hands and turned back towards me.

Before she was able to speak and have a go at me for not visiting her more often I spoke up giddily, "so, are we all excited for the Gala tomorrow?"

I received a bunch of nods in response and then my Uncle spoke up, "forget about the Gala how about we get you two girls to your hotel before you collapse, you both look very tired. Plus, I think it's way past little Mateo's bed time."

Rach and I both let out a sigh of relief at my Uncle's words. If I wasn't inside a nice warm bed within the next 30 minutes I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up just collapsing.

"Come on then, we've also got your car with us so we'll leave that at the hotel with you," my mother explained as she took my suitcase from me and my father took Rachael's.

"Wait, where are you staying?"

"We're staying over at Fernando's as he thought there was no reason to spend money on a hotel when he has a room spare," my father spoke as he patted his brothers shoulder.