9. Bahrain

≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫
MARIA
≪•◦ ❈ ◦•≫

It was a hot day today, it was 28° outside and so I was staying in my hotel room for as long as I possibly could to stay in the nice cool room. Heat doesn't usually bother me thanks to my wondrous Spanish genes but there's something about Bahrain which made the heat unbearable.

I'd decided on wearing some denim shorts along with a dark green off the shoulder top for the Aston Martin colours. I did have a shirt but I preferred to not wear it as it was surprisingly thick and I wasn't in the mood to sweat all day.

I made sure I did have my hat though with the number 14 on so my Uncle didn't kill me. When I realised it was now 8am I headed out of the room as I got a text from Rach.

Rach 💌

Rach 💌
How's Bahrain? Fernando know you're there yet?

Me
Boiling!
I'm heading out now to be there when FP1 finishes to surprise him

Rach 💌
Okay, have fun and be safe!
Your house hasn't burnt down yet

Me
Good to know, I'll text you later <3

With that I switched my phone off and headed straight to the track. It didn't take long for me to get there and I arrived half way through the first practice. When I entered the Aston Martin garage I was met with welcoming smiles.

"Maria, great to have you back in the garage," Mike Krack said as he walked over to me.

"It's good to be back, how much longer till Alonso comes in?" I asked as I lent on the counter behind me so I'd stay out the way of everyone.

"Roughly 5 minutes."

I nodded my head as I looked over at the screen showing the practice, "just don't let him know I'm here, I want it to be a surprise."

The team principal nodded his head in understanding before getting back to work as I stayed leaning on the counter. The 5 minutes that went by seemed to have gone relatively quickly when I spotted Lance heading back in so my Uncle was most likely not too far behind.

I tilted my head down to hide my face a little as I spotted my Uncle climbing out of his car and heading further into the garage. He was just about to walk past me when my hat was snatched off of my head.

"Maria?!" He gave me a questioning yet happy look as he brought me in for a warm hug.

"Ew, you're all sweaty," I groaned as I backed away from him smiling.

He rolled his eyes at me, "¿Pensé que no podías venir?" (I thought you couldn't come?)

"Puede que haya dicho una pequeña mentira piadosa," I spoke holding my hands up. (I may have told a little white lie)

"¿Cuándo llegaste aquí?" (When did you get here?)

"Two days ago, I was in the McLaren garage yesterday," I switched to English as sometimes it was easier for me. Don't get me wrong, my Spanish is perfect but as I've spoken English more and more over the years it's just easier to have a long conversation in English.