Chapter 2 - Zhan and Eva

Even at the tender age of only 10, Zhan knew exactly what his future should look like. Even then, he knew that he wanted to become a Chef and someday, if he could afford it, own his own small cozy restaurant. And his plans also included marrying a beautiful woman.

At the age of 28, Zhan had achieved almost everything he wanted. He became a chef and worked in a prestigious restaurant, where he earned money that he saved to open his own restaurant. And there was Eva, whom he proposed to on her 26th birthday. He met her while working at the restaurant. She was a waitress there and the two became quickly friendly. (When Zhan's profession says chef, it means cook!)

After two months, the two began dating. While Zhan wasn't at all sure that Eva was the right woman for him, he did have his life plans and that included getting married. And Eva was not only beautiful, but also nice. Moreover, he got along excellently with her. Which, as he knew, is important for a functioning marriage.

That to a marriage in the best case also belongs love, Zhan had been quite conscious. But he had no desire to look for a woman with whom he might fall in love. And he didn't have time for that either. After all, he worked in the restaurant from morning to night. And with Eva he saw a chance for a satisfying marriage. That was all he asked for.

Eva openly admitted that she was not in love with Zhan when he proposed to her. But just like Zhan, she believed that she could have a satisfying marriage with Zhan. So she said yes to Zhan's proposal, and just a few weeks later, the two were married in a small registry office with only their families present.

For the ceremony, they were accompanied to the registry office by Zhan's and Eva's parents, as well as two of their closest friends. Zhan's parents looked less than happy because they hoped that Zhan would eventually marry someone he loved. But on the other hand, they liked Eva and hoped that the two would develop feelings for each other during the marriage after all.

Eva's parents were very pleased. For a long time they had wanted a husband for their daughter. And after meeting Zhan, they were sure that he would always treat her well. And that was the most important thing for them both. Moreover, like Zhan's parents, they hoped that the two would fall in love after all.

The wedding ceremony took place in a small room in the registry office. The room smelled almost as bad as the registrar. Because he stank horribly of alcohol and garlic. What was just for Zhan's very sensitive nose, a nightmare.

The windows in the room were closed. And with every deep breath the registrar took, he blew his hot, stinking breath into Zhan's face. Which was no big deal, since the registrar was sitting only 60 inches away from Zhan. After a few minutes, Zhan could hardly stand it and he held his nose in disgust. But the registrar didn't even care. He carried on as if nothing had happened.

After the ceremony, they went to the restaurant, where the owner and colleagues of the two, prepared a small celebration for them. The couple decided not to go on a honeymoon, because they thought that this was reserved for couples who loved each other. They preferred to save the money. And also all the money they got for the wedding, they immediately put into their savings account.

After the wedding, Eva moved in with Zhan in his two-room appartment. Since they did not plan to sleep with each other in their marriage, Zhan let her have the bedroom and slept on a sofa bed in the living room, which then became his bedroom. They shared household chores and agreed to exactly split the running costs of rent, electricity, water, gas, heating and everything else.

Much to everyone's amazement, Zhan and Eva proved that their unusual marriage was working. Whenever they were asked how it was possible that they were happy in this loveless marriage, they explained that they treated each other with respect and were good friends. But was that true? Were they really still happy with their loveless marriage?