Chapter 14 - Zhan's surprise

Yibo left the mini market on time at 6 pm. Since Zhan would be working for three more hours, Yibo had time to prepare the surprise for Zhan. He had already called his old friend from school days about the two kittens. He would be able to pick them up later. Now he just had to get the accessories and food for the cats.

He drove to a pet supply store and bought everything in duplicate. However, sorted by color. Because the kittens are a boy and a girl. So he bought two collars, one pink, the other blue. He bought two litter boxes, also in pink and blue. Two scratching posts in beige and black. Food bowls in pink and blue. Toys for the cats. Two baskets, also in pink and blue. And a cardboard cat house with a scratching mat. Also got dry and wet cat food for kittens and two big bags of cat litter. And last but not least, a transport box for the cats.

Once home, he prepared everything for the cats. He then went to his old friend's house and picked up the two cats, Ying and Yang, and brought them home safely in their transport box. Since his old friend advised him not to let them run around freely right away, but to leave them in their transport box for one or two hours first, so that they could get used to the smells and sounds of the new appartment, Yibo had time to pick up Zhan from the restaurant and surprise him with the two cats at home, without having to search for them in the big appartment first.

All excited, Yibo entered the restaurant to let Zhan know he was there to pick him up. Zhan went to change and then they drove home. Yibo stopped in front of the apartment door and said, "We should be very quiet now when we go in. Because there's a surprise for you inside, which might get pretty scared if it suddenly gets loud."

"I'm sorry, what?" Zhan asked, confused.

"Just be as quiet as possible." Said Yibo and opened the apartment door with his fingerprint. He took Zhan by the hand and slowly crept with him into the appartment and to the living room. Then he squatted in front of the cat carrier and motioned Zhan to join him.

Zhan squatted down next to Yibo and Yibo opened the transport box. Yibo reached inside and a soft "meow" sounded. "What is that? Is that a cat?" Zhan wanted to know.

"No. It's two cats. A boy and a girl. Their names are Ying and Yang." Yibo put the little cat with the pink collar in Zhan's hands and took little Yang out of the carrier and showed him to Zhan.

Zhan looked at the two cute little cats with loving eyes and whispered, "What cute little angels are you? Where did you come from?"

"I got them from an old school friend. I wanted to give you a treat. You've helped me a lot in the last few days and I wanted to do something good for you too. Yu Bin told me that you like animals very much. Especially cats. And that you always wanted to have a cat. Well, so I thought you might enjoy these two little babies."

"I am Yibo. Thank you so much. It's true, I always wanted a cat. But my old apartment didn't allow pets. And back at my parents' place, we had a big dog that didn't like cats."

"So you're happy?"

"Yes, very much so. I don't even know what to say. They're both so cute."

"Yes they are. Um, unfortunately we can't give them any other names. They already go by Ying and Yang. And my old classmate asked me to let them keep their names."

"Of course. It suits them, doesn't it?"

"I think so, too. And I've already gotten everything we need for the cats."

"Very good. Shall we let them run around so they can have a look around?"

"Sure. Also, we should show them where their litter boxes are. I um, put them in the guest bathroom for now."