Chapter 5 - The Divorce Hearing

More weeks have passed and finally the time has come. The date for the divorce hearing has finally arrived. It is early December and winter is here. The first snowfall is expected in just a few days. Even the air already smells strongly of snow. And the downtown area is already decorated with colorful Christmas lights.

That afternoon, Yibo, Lara and their lawyer were the first to arrive at the courthouse meeting room. The judge and a stenographer, were already in the room preparing for the hearing. After the cold from outside, Yibo felt almost beaten by the warmth in the room.

But Yibo really started to sweat when there was a knock at the door and Zhan entered with Eva and their lawyer. Yibo felt his heartbeat increase as his gaze met Zhan's. Nervously, Yibo ran his hand over his forehead and noticed that he was beginning to sweat. He frantically searched for the handkerchief until he remembered that he had forgotten to take it out of his work vest and pocket it.

Afraid of embarrassing himself because he was sweating so much and to keep the sweat out of his eyes, Yibo wanted to simply wipe it off with the sleeve of his jacket. But just as he raised his arm, Zhan grabbed his wrist and pressed a handkerchief into his hand. Immediately when Yibo felt the soft cloth in his hand and sensed the slight scent of Old Spice, he calmed down.

It was as if this soft cloth and the scent of Old Spice on it had a magical effect on him. His heart calmed down again and he stopped sweating. He dabbed the sweat from his forehead and thanked Zhan. "Thank you. This is the second time you've helped me out with a handkerchief." He said.

"You're welcome." Replied Zhan with a smile and lightly patted Yibo's hand.

Zhan's smile made Yibo a little embarrassed. "I came here straight from my mini market and changed there and forgot to pack my handkerchief."

"That can happen to anyone. I was late a little earlier and almost came here in my work clothes."

"What do you work at?"

"I opened a little restaurant a few weeks ago."

"Oh, a restaurant just opened near my mini market recently, too. My customers really raved about the food."

"So where is your mini market?" Zhan wanted to know. Yibo told him and Zhan laughed. "Well it seems that was my restaurant your customers were raving about then."

"Oh really? Had you been giving out free food samples in the neighborhood to celebrate the opening?"

"Yes, I did."

"Because someone brought me some snacks at the Mini Market and said they were a gift for the restaurant's grand opening. I loved the mini dough rolls. Crispy on the outside and pretty tender and juicy on the inside. They were filled with cheese and ham. So delicious."

"You can come by anytime and have more. My treat."

"Absolutely, I will come."

"Since he's inviting you to dinner, I have an advice for you. You'd better try all his other dishes. They are all Fantastic." Interjected Eva.

"Yes, you should." Said Zhan.

"Thanks, I will." Replied Yibo, beaming with delight.

The judge cleared her throat. "Shall we begin then?" She asked with a smile. Zhan and Yibo apologized and the judge laughed. "Oh, no. It's been nice to see that you seem to get along right away. Even though you don't know each other. Well, we'll start now. First we'll let the lawyers talk and then you can say something if you want. After that, I will say something else before I make a decision."