Chapter 16 - Christmas Eve

The morning of Christmas Eve began in a relaxed manner with a shared breakfast followed by a play session with Ying and Yang, the two baby cats. After the play session, Yibo and Zhan went to the bakery down the street where they had ordered two cakes for the Christmas holidays for their families. They picked up the two Christmas decorated cakes and went to the health food store right next door where they bought fresh fruits, vegetables, eggs, butter, milk and yogurt.

Back home, they put away the groceries and stowed the pies in their refrigerator. Another play session with Ying and Yang followed and then Yibo and Zhan went to the kitchen where they baked Christmas cookies together. Along the way, Zhan prepared lunch, which they ate while the Christmas cookies were in the oven.

After lunch and after the Christmas cookies were made, they cleaned up the kitchen and went to the living room to rest for a while. They watched a movie on a streaming service, ate some Christmas cookies, and watched their kittens play with each other.

Around 4 pm, Zhan asked, "Hey Yibo? Do you maybe feel like walking around the Christmas market with me?"

Yibo looked at the window. It had started snowing again and he knew it was bitterly cold outside. But still, Yibo nodded. "Yes, I'd love to. I ate so much today that I really need the walk."

"Okay. Mhhh, actually I wanted to take you out to dinner after the walk. I made a reservation at a restaurant a few days ago. But now that you say you've eaten too much, I guess that's not going to happen."

"You want to take me out to dinner? Just like that?"

"Well, yeah."

"Okay."

"What okay?"

"We'll go out to eat after the walk. By then my stomach will have digested everything and I'll be hungry again."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes I am ZhanGeGe. In fact, I'm looking forward to going out to eat with you."

"I'm glad."

"Me too. If I didn't know better, I would have said that walking around the Christmas market and going out to eat at a restaurant is like going on a date. But this isn't a date."

"Who says it's not? We can call it whatever we want."

"Well, dating is only for real couples or those who go on dates to get to know each other and then become a couple."

"Yibo, why don't you stop seeing everything so black and white? If we say it's a date, then it is. It doesn't matter if we're a couple or not. We are married and just getting to know each other. Like our marriage was arranged and we're using the date to get to know each other better and get closer."

"Sorry I always feel insecure about these things. I'm afraid of saying anything wrong and scaring you off or making you angry."

"Come over here to me." Said Zhan, wrapping Yibo in his arms as he walked up to Zhan and stopped close in front of him. "You have no reason to feel insecure with me. And you don't have to worry about scaring me off with anything either. Even though we've only known each other for three weeks, I think it's been clear to both of us for a long time that we don't feel about each other the way friends should. I don't know yet what exactly it is with the two of us. But I am ready to do everything to find out. And I'd love it if you'd join me and we can walk the road ahead together."

"I know exactly what you mean and yes, I feel the same way. These feelings are confusing to me and at the same time just beautiful. That's why yes, I'm walking this path together with you. I'm not backing away from it. I wouldn't have done that anyway. Because I want to go on and on with you and see what the future holds for us."