Chapter 3 - What's going on?

It was a sunny autumn morning in October when Yibo and Lara met at the registry office to file the papers for their divorce. Since they both agree and both want the divorce, it should be a mere formality and done quickly. They would leave the registry office the same morning as divorced. At least that was the plan!

When the two of them handed the divorce application to the rather chubby official at the counter, the less than friendly lady took it and hammered their names into the keyboard with her fat fingers, adjusted her oversized glasses, clicked the mouse, hammered the keyboard again, and clicked the mouse again. "Divorce isn't possible." She said, as if she had never learned to speak in full sentences.

Yibo and Lara looked at her expectantly, waiting for an explanation. But since the official made no effort to explain anything to them, Lara asked, "And why is divorce not possible? We both agree to it."

"I can't divorce anyone who is not married!" Replied the official, looking at her red painted fingernails.

"What do you mean we are not married? We got married here in this registry office three years ago!" Said Yibo confused.

"Yes I know you got married here. But not to each other! If you want a divorce, come with your real partners and fill out the divorce applications properly."

"What's that supposed to mean now?" Yibo slowly began to get angry.

"Here are written the names, Wang Yibo and Ling Lara. But that's not correct! It should state, Wang Yibo and Xiao Zhan. Or Ling Lara and Yue Eva. You must do this with your spouses, not your lovers."

"Now slow down! Who are Xiao Zhan and this Yue Eva? And hello, I guess Xiao Zhan is clearly a man. I'm a man as well. So I guess we can't be married to each other!" Blaffed Yibo angrily.

"If you don't calm down, I'll have security take you out. I can only say what it says here." Said the official. She turned the monitor around and pointed to the digital marriage certificate. "It says Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo. Witnesses were Yu Bin and Kim Seungyoun."

Yibo stared at the names and shook his head. "This can only be a misunderstanding. Here's our marriage certificate and..." Yibo stopped as he looked more closely at the marriage certificate. He shook his head, unable to believe what he was reading.

Lara took the marriage certificate. "How can this be? Here on the marriage certificate we got the day we got married, our names are written. But then why aren't they on the marriage certificate here that we got mailed shortly after we got married?" She wanted to know.

The official took the marriage certificates and looked them over. "Mhhh, that's really strange. I don't have an explanation for it. I can only tell you that the registered couples are Xiao Zhan and Wang Yibo, respectively Ling Lara and Yue Eva. Didn't you look at the marriage certificates when they were sent to you?"

"We didn't really look at them. I don't know. We got them and put them into our documents." Said Lara.

"Since this is obviously a mistake by the registrar's office, I suggest they just annul our marriage." Suggested Yibo.

"It's not that simple. First of all, it has to be proven that it really was a mistake. And then that should have happened immediately when you were sent the documents. It's been three years. I can't do anything now. You have to do that with your spouses." The official explained.

"But we don't even know these people! How are we supposed to talk to them about it if we have no idea who they even are? Yes, it may have been a mistake not to have taken a closer look at the documents. But it is quite obvious that this is a mistake. In this country, a man cannot marry another man. Neither can two women marry." Complained Yibo.