Overkill

Cale watched as Hong sent poison fog at the first monster. It screeched, and Cale slowly realized that the poison must have had acidic properties. Flesh was sloughing off of the monster at this point, each liquefied chunk taking clumps of hair down to the concrete with it. Blood filled the patches where the skin had been. Its eyes had melted down its cheeks, mucking up what fur was left. A few seconds later, it dropped dead, still melting as it lay on the concrete floor. Cale shuddered.

[The Devil of Blood and Static is impressed by the scene.]

Hong gasped. "It's melting the monster, nya! This poison is so cool!"

"What the fuck?"

There wasn't time to figure out which few of the group said that, because On had taken the initiative to fog up the area in front of the portal to try to slow down the monsters. Hong, on the other hand, had sent the poison fog after new monsters coming through. Cale could barely hear baby Hana crying with all the roaring from the monsters.

Some of the monsters melted as well, but others dropped, and one even quit running to use the torn-up floor as a back scratcher. Itchy fog... interesting. Cale was very bored, as this was going on for hours, but at least the poisons provided some entertainment. That quickly wore off, but Cale still made sure to praise On and Hong for their efforts.

How long had it been? He knew that apocalypses could be boring, but he could be reading at home instead of this.

"Hahaha! This has turned out interesting. If only I could turn it up a notch... oh wait, I can." Bihyung snapped his fingers, and the rush of monsters from the portals increased. Hong just became more excited, sending more poisons after them. Dokja seemed to be handling the ones that didn't die quick enough.

Mildred scowled. "Hey, it's my group that's doing well. Why don't you leave that to me?"

Bihyung snorted, turning to her. "You're too lazy to be trusted to deal with it properly."

"Excuse me?!"

"Fine, you can add the scenario penalty," Bihyung sighed.

"Good."

[The scenario penalty has been applied!]

[Partial green zones in the area have been deactivated.]

Their guide started screaming as his green zone fell, but there was only one monster rushing him, and it fell unconscious or dead a few feet before it reached him. He sank to his knees, shaking.

On doubled her efforts to confuse the monsters, covering their eyes with a layer of fog. It helped some, but they clearly had a keen sense of smell. Cale made sure to pet her to let her know that her efforts were appreciated, no matter how effective they were.

There was about an hour more of fighting, the monster rush getting bigger. Cale and Hong trusted Dokja to handle the ones that seemed to be more immune to poison, at least until they heard Gilyoung's shout.

Cale turned around to see Joonghyuk and Gliyoung in a green zone with Dokja about to get attacked by monsters that had flesh melting off them – but not fast enough. Damn it, Dokja. He quickly activated Super Rock, sending stone spears that pierced through the monsters with incredible power, pinning them to the wall with loud cracks that echoed through the now-silent area. They had been the last of the monsters.

"Holy shit," someone whispered. Cale frowned at the word "holy," but he agreed with the sentiment. The monsters were weaker than he thought they would be, and he realized that Super Rock hadn't even asked if he was going to sacrifice himself.

[The Devil of Blood and Static thinks he might watch you for a while.]

Shit, that's just fantastic.

"Sorry... I should have used the other poison," Hong said glumly. Cale petted him gently to let him know that it was alright; he was okay with them being a part of the fighting in non-dangerous ways like this, but he drew the line at them feeling responsible for the outcome or feeling like they had to participate.