No Rest for the Wicked's Playthings

Cale sat back down by the waiting incarnations as Persephone began laughing loudly.

"Kim Dokja, you've gone and done it now. That's why I like you so much," she said, wiping a tear from her eye.

The constellations began to argue, and Cale kept careful note of who approved and who didn't. He narrowed his eyes at the insinuation that incarnations could become constellations. The implications of it were even more damning... Were all constellations previously incarnations in the other worlds the scenarios had taken place in?

If that was the case, why were the constellations so detached? Was there a mental aspect to reaching the status of a constellation?

When the dokkaebi announced that Dokja was worthy of forming a nebula, Cale leaned forward in his chair. The story "King of a Kingless World" appeared behind Dokja and Joonghyuk.

So, this was the idea behind stories. It made sense now why he didn't have any. He hadn't done anything of note, and finally people weren't paying attention to him for no reason. Though he had been considering arson recently, he'd have to rethink that if this is the type of attention vandalization gets.

Apparently Dokja had also defeated a returnee. This world really needed to pick a trope and stick to it. He'd also beaten up a dokkaebi, which instantly made Cale like him more. The giant snake Dokja had fought while glowing like a company lightbulb looked like it would be an unranked monster on Earth One, though definitely not at the level of the Lion Dragon that appeared in Puzzle City. It might be as strong as the Electric Eel, but Cale couldn't tell from the short amount of footage; who knows what powers the snake Dokja fought had.

How interesting. Cale decided to message Dokja while the constellations argued.

[Cale Henituse: So, you're a constellation now.]

[Kim Dokja: It does seem that way, doesn't it? Are you regretting your decision to not join the nebula?]

[Cale Henituse: Definitely not. Are constellations related at all to constellations in space?]

[Kim Dokja: In a way, but they're more like individual stars.]

He couldn't be serious. Really? Cale didn't even bother to ask for more specifics on that, sure that it would lead to becoming more involved with constellations, but he couldn't not complain about the terminology.

[Cale Henituse: The representation of one star is a constellation, which is the term for a collection of stars given meaning, and a collection of constellations that work together is a nebula, which is the term for a cloud of gas and dust in space? Who decided that?]

[Kim Dokja: The constellations are called constellations because they are stars with multiple stories attached to them. There's a reason for it, don't insult the author.]

Oh, did Dokja still think that the author created this worldbuilding instead of simply recording it for someone? To be honest, Cale was beginning to doubt that too. These naming conventions could only come from someone who skipped all of their astronomy lessons. Then again, if you factor in the time aspect that had been involved in Cale's instance... no, he didn't care about it that much.

[Cale Henituse: Pretending I accept that, why did they choose to call each group a nebula instead of a star system, which is a small group of stars orbiting each other? That would make much more sense.]

[Kim Dokja: The Star Stream is how the constellations watch us. It would be confusing.]

[Cale Henituse: With logic like that, I can see why you're desperate for information. Fine. In the book I read...]

[Kim Dokja: There was something?]

The other man's eagerness was obvious even through text. His face even gave away that something had excited him, though Cale supposed that Dokja could explain that away as being happy about being as financially capable as he just told everyone he was.