Not So Easy

Cover from Maryann_Summers on AO3! https://imgur.com/lclZrU6

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The gods were able to do what?" Alberu's shocked face stared back at Cale through the screen of the cintamani.

Cale sighed. "Yeah, either the strongest one in the city died or half of the people in it would. I don't understand how that was allowed either."

Mildred sparked into view with a triumphant expression. That bitch. "It was, but what you did? Well, we'll have to see about that." She snapped her fingers, and suddenly, Cale was in front of a large group of dokkaebi with Dokja and Sooyoung right beside him. The cintamani was no longer in his hand.

They were at the top of one of the immortal meditation rocks of Seon-bawi, and Cale admired the view before forcing his attention back on the fluffy council before him.

"Do you have anything to say for yourselves?" the dokkaebi with the fanciest clothes asked.

Raising an eyebrow, Cale spoke slowly. "We didn't do anything wrong. Clearly, since the scenario presented itself as complete."

"You really think that? It goes against the very spirit of the scenario! How could you say that all of that was supposed to happen?"

Dokja cleared his throat. "We weren't told any rules beyond the description of the scenario. Are we just supposed to guess what you want and do that? How is that interesting?'

"Yeah," Sooyoung complained, "and you all knew who was the strongest anyway! This guy already had a skill to revive, so why does it matter how he ended up reviving?"

"The constellations are displeased. Frankly, we are as well. There is a predetermined system here that provides maximum benefit to all parties, and you are trampling all over it – we cannot allow this to continue."

Cale laughed. After a few seconds, he abruptly stopped, then tilted his head with a cold gaze. "Maximum benefit? Tell me. What's the benefit of either losing the most entertaining person or half of your cannon fodder? I'm sure the constellations would be so pleased with either outcome."

"Even though you think all your running around like headless chickens is the most entertaining thing in the world, it isn't. The constellations love unexpected things, yes, but they don't like when things happen outside of the expected boundaries. It's business, and this is an investment. There's a reason why the scenarios are fixed. They don't want—"

"Mystery? Is that what you're saying? You treat the constellations like children by feeding them this content that they always know the outcome of while parading it as new material. You've done this in how many different worlds, yet you claim it as a different story? It's patronizing." Cale looked up at the stars. "Don't you agree?"

[Several constellations shift in their seats.]

The dokkaebi's condescending expression began to fall.

[The Demonic Judge of Fire says that she appreciates the surprises!]

[The Devil of Blood and Static wants to keep watching these incarnations.]

It began to glare at Cale, sparking with a blinding orange as it bared its teeth.

[The Black Light of Darkness likes plot twists.]

[The constellation that prefers strawberry doesn't like it when the dokkaebi treat constellations as a hive mind.]

[Many constellations begin to feel hostile.]

Cale didn't care if the damn constellations were disrespected. He had made it clear how he felt about them early on, and if they had forgotten, it was on them. They were so easy to manipulate in the short term – these powerful beings were so very quick to cast judgement and change their minds unless challenged directly.