Murky Waters

Dazai found himself sitting at a lunch table. It was a solid and sturdy table, with a clean, white finish of paint and varnish on top. Opposite to him, a figure in a gray hoodie sat slumped over the table. He fiddled with a tiny Rubik's cube in his hand. The figure would glance up at the one sitting across him every so often, expression unreadable.

The two sat silently, acutely aware of the other's presence.

"This'll go nowhere, won't it?" One says. A chuckle is heard from the other side.

"Oh, I'm sure it will."

.............

You ran as quickly as you could. You were cautious not to bump into anybody, but there was one person unfortunate enough to end up on the floor thanks to you.

"Sorry-" You rushed a quick apology without stopping.

It's was difficult measuring up your distance as you could no longer tell how far you were to catching up to Ms. Hanajima. The hospital may not be a noisy place, but there was enough movement at this time to distract from the sounds of all the different footsteps reverberating throughout the halls.

In any case, you just keep running to the place you know her target is in. As you arrive to the room, you actually see the door open, albeit, without anybody visibly being there. Heh. You're right on time.

With a huff, you rush into the room. You practically slide in really. Taking half a second to breathe, you glance at everything briefly.

There's Mr. Fujiwara on the bed. His bed is rested up against the left wall. Plastic, green curtains drape on one side. You look at him, and see the state he's in. Wrapped up in bandages and on a ventilator, he lays there completely motionless.

This is really the man she wants to kill?

You suddenly feel something press up against the back of your head. It's something small...but it's not very forceful. You hear a click however, and quickly it registers as a safety in your mind.

**>~ BAM. ***<#%*

The gun fires. A short grunt is heard after, but of course, not from you. Can't be.

You turn around and see Ms. Hanajima now. She's clutching a hand over her cheek. Red oozes out from it as she presses down hard.

"What the hell was that?-?!" Hanajima yells. Confusion and frustration flare up in her eyes.

"That would be my special ability: White Lily."

You quickly spring into action. You turn around nimbly and try to draw your gun. Your fingers close in around the handle on instinct, however, for a split second, they hesitate.

It was only a moment. To your misfortune though, it gives your assailant time to re-collect herself and react to your movements.

You curl your fingers around the handle of your firearm and pull back the safety. As fast as lightning strikes, Ms. Hanajima turns invisible again.

Instantaneously, a heavy force comes at you from your left side. You're rammed and you fall onto one knee. In brief surprise, you let out a frustrated growl.

You then feel another force come at you. This time, you feel it come down from behind your neck. The weight of it is incredible.

Damn. That Hanajima isn't holding back-

As a result of what you assume to be a cold punch to the back of the head, you end up face planting on the ground. You even catch a face-full of the floor's scent. (At least it smells freshly cleaned though?)

Your gun falls out of your hand and slides to the end of the room.

You try to stand back up, but a firm force keeps your legs glued to the ground. You reach for your gun, but you can't stretch your arm far enough.

While you still can't see her, Ms. Hanajima speaks, "(Y/n)...Please stop trying to keep me from killing this man. Please." There's an utter desperation in her voice.

"I can't do that. No matter what, I've got a job to do."

"(Y/n). Please. I won't ask again."

You continue to struggle to move, while all the meanwhile, silence envelops the room.

"(Y/n)?"

"Ms. Hanajima, what's your goal in trying to kill this man? Could it be...that this is the lover you were saying tried to kill you?"

You somehow doubt it. Ms. Hanajima seems way too young to be in a relationship with Fujiwara. That, and Fujiwara is already married and busy with his own work to have time to fiddle around on the side. However, you need to grasp the situation, and only by asking questions may you do that.

"No. It's not him." She replies.

"Then why?"

"Because he's still the person who caused this...It's all because of this- this stupid pig."

Ms. Hanajima's grip loosens. Using this to your advantage, you grab her arm and shake her off your legs. Caught off guard, her invisibility ability wears off and once again, you can see her bloodied up face.

Distressed, she cups her hands and lunges toward your neck: A flimsy attempt to choke you down.

You move behind her and use her own momentum against her. You quickly push her forward onto the ground, similar to the way she got you earlier.

You dart toward your gun and press it up against Ms. Hanajima's back.

Weakly, she turns her head to look at your direction. The fight in her is gone. Her eyes are tired. She's tired. The look of sadness on her face is almost unbearable.

Is this the same look you had?

"Can you...please kill me?"

'!!!'

"What?"

"(Y/n)...I don't want to live in a world where that man too is alive...It's just...not worth it."

"But what happened to your dreams? Didn't you say you had a goal?!"

"I've lived my life since the day my health was ruined to see this man gone from the world. That was the purpose I wished to serve. It's all I could've done." A sad smile comes across her face.

"Just what did he do?"

"You want me to recount it? Okay. I'll tell you then."