Deep Crimson

Okay. Even for you, this feels bizarre...

This dude is really Mori's right-hand man???

Currently, you're walking around, following Dazai as he strolls through the streets of Yokohama with a game console in his hands. You hear 8-bit gunfire sound effects and explosions blare out from the game, as well as a series of random beeps and clicks. Bandage guy bumps into a pedestrian while he's immersed in his game.

"Ouch. Anyway~"

The person he bumped into cusses him out, but he doesn't so much as glance in his direction. You deadpan like you've never done so before. Despite the fact you'd rather not do your job in the mafia, this level of slacking and inefficiency kinda gets on your nerves. This dude is something else entirely...

"You're...Dazai, right?" He looks up at you curiously, pausing his game.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Should you really be doing that right now?"

"My game? Oh, don't mind it. I'll put it down right after this level." Dazai turns back to his game. Exhausted already, you let out a sigh as you two continue walking. You comfort yourself mentally.

"It's alright (Y/N)! You'll be gone soon enough...hopefully..." You cross your fingers.

After a little while longer of walking, Dazai stops suddenly in front of a tall, run-down, twelve-story building.

"Oh look at that. We're finally here~" Dazai takes off and dashes straight in.

"Wha-? Hey wait up!"

You both enter the building through the double doors at the entrance. The interior is slightly nicer than the outside suggested earlier, and there are very few people working in this office building. Dazai turns to you and points behind him.

"Hey, you. Go find the elevator and head to the rooftop. I'll meet you up there in a bit." Confusion paints your face. You're here to investigate into the smugglers' goods, right? So...why would they bring it up on the roof specifically?

"The rooftop? You think their supply is on the rooftop? That can't be." Dazai makes a no-nonsense face for the first time since you left Mori's office.

"Just trust me and head up on the rooftop."

"It doesn't make sense though. Why would these smugglers transport their goods to the roof? The kind of heavy artillery we're looking for is likely massive and heavy...So bringing several loads of merchandise up a twelve-story building isn't very feasible for a small band of smugglers-"

"I'll explain later. You'll get it."

"But-"

It's no use. Dazai has already turned around and started walking off in some other direction. You've been completely disregarded...

Out of childish spite, you decide not to take the elevator and instead, prompt for climbing up eleven flights of stairs. Yeah, you'll probably regret that tomorrow. While your Gift lets you stay invulnerable to disease and damage, stamina is a different story entirely...

At last though, you reach the roof of the building. You swing open the door and instantly begin scanning your surroundings.

You walk around the rooftop a bit and put a hand up to cover your eyes as the sun seems to be out today. You glance around several times, making note of how vast yet empty the space is.

Just as you'd thought: There are no goods up here. You sigh and mentally debate whether it'd be worth it to tell Dazai a good old 'I told you so' when he arrives. For some reason, he brings out certain childish tendencies of yours more often than most others do.