Tairn

I walk along the riverbank collecting herbs that are at their most potency in the early morning. I know what Vi is planning, she's like an open book. She took breakfast duty to try to take out her competition, but if she did it enough times people would start to catch on.

I come around a bend in the river and find a huge black dragon drinking. I freeze at the sight of the magnificence of his form. He slowly lifts his head and turns to look at me. His lip curls and I get the feeling I'm intruding. I lower my head and slowly lift my right hand palm up, facing the sky.

" I'm sorry for disturbing you. I was just......."

"You were looking for herbs that might give your sister a fighting chance during the sparring matches...Smart ."

My mouth drops at the deep rumble that floats through my mind. It sounds like thunder. He lowers himself to his belly crossing his front forelegs and stares at me.

"Nothing to say Belladonna Sorrengail?'

I stare up at him and then say in a small voice " I thought dragons didn't talk to anyone but their riders?"

He gives me a toothy smile. Or what I think is one.

" Why are you talking to me, if I may be so bold to ask?"

"Because I wanted to know if what Malthor said was true."

" If what was true?"

" If you were truly selfless. If your sister is anything like you, then she won't have a problem bonding come threshing. It takes more than physical strength to bond. We older dragons look for qualities that will complement us in every way when we select our riders. Know this........"

He moves his head towards me. I close my eyes thinking he's about to eat me. But I feel warmth breath blow on me. I slowly open my eyes and am face to face with a huge yellow eye.

" You are special. I've seen it, Malthor has seen it and has in a way already laid claim to you, Belladonna Sorrengail. You are like nothing this world has seen in a very long. When your signet manifests know that there will be those that will try to kill you because of it. But you are under the protection of every dragon in the realm. You are what we have been waiting for. What my brother has been waiting for, for over a hundred years."

I'm in shock at his announcement.

" But I'm not anything special. I'm just a would-be healer. I wasn't even supposed to be in the Rider's quadrant. I only decided at the last minute. How can I....."

" You will do great things. Your sister's destiny has been written in the stars but you...... you will be something talked about till the end of time. "

I sigh and ask

" How can you be so sure?"

" Because you have a dragon's spirit."

he stands and stretches his wing, fixing to take off.

" May I ask your name?'

He sends me another toothy grin.

" Usually we only share our names with our riders but, I think given the situation, we can make an exception. My name is Tairneanach. Tairn if you wish."

Then he lunges up into the sky taking flight.

" Be brave in the coming months Belladonna. And tell your sister to keep her hands up!!!"

I stare after him and whisper

" Did that seriously just happen?"