Chapter 19

Daniel and I both failed a bunch of our classes throughout all of our years in high school. We failed for very different reasons but he's almost as behind as I am, so when we got ourselves registered back into school we both promised each other that we'd push each other and won't let each other fall behind.

"How were your first two classes?" Daniel asked as he walked up to me in the hallway, Jaylen and Myles both at his side. "I hate you for making me do this." I stated grumpily, crossing my arms over my chest and walking towards the exit at the end of the hallway. Daniel, Jaylen and Myles all ran after me, following me outside to the parking lot.

"Where's Anna?" I asked as the boys started speed walking to catch up with me. "She should be at the back of the plaza across the street, last school year that's where we went during lunch and breaks." Daniel explained whilst pointing to the small plaza across the street from the school. "Let's go then." I demanded as I changed direction and started walking quickly towards the plaza.

"Maddy!" Anna squealed excitedly as she handed something to Dakota and started running over to me. "Hey Anna." I greeted happily whilst holding my arms out as she lunged forward and wrapped her arms around me tightly. "Are you guys smoking cigarettes?" I asked as I suddenly got a whiff of the smoke coming from Dakota. "Yeah, want a hit?" He asked whilst inhaling the smoke and holding the cigarette out.

I nodded my head and grabbed it out of his hand, holding the filter up to my lips and taking a huge hit. "Ew, back up with that shit." Myles spat through a look of pure disgust, taking a few steps back and glaring at the cigarette in my hand. "You're so dramatic." Daniel stated through a chuckle as he held his hand out in front of me whilst eyeing the cigarette. I took one more quick hit before handing it to Daniel, an odd feeling rushing through my body as watched him take it out of my hand and place the filter in between his lips.

I don't know what it is. Maybe the way he leaned back against the brick wall behind him, slouched forward a bit with his head down looking at the rest of the group through his brows, or the way he looked with smoke floating out of his mouth and into the air. But something about seeing Daniel smoke made my heart beat a bit faster. "I'm not dramatic, I just hate cigarettes, they're so gross." Myles explained whilst jokingly making gagging sounds.

"How are we related?" Jaylen asked through a chuckle as he walked up to Dakota and reached into his hoodie pocket. "Aye, watch the hands." Dakota growled whilst smacking Jaylen's hand away. "Don't make me box you." Jaylen joked as he crossed his arms over his chest. "You're lucky we're friends, I wouldn't give you anything if we weren't." Dakota explained through a grin as he pulled out his pack of cigarettes and handed one to Jaylen.

"Yeah, yeah." Jaylen mumbled whilst lighting the smoke and placing it in between his lips. "Real shit, how are we related?" Myles muttered back, giving his brother a dirty look as Jaylen suddenly blew smoke in Myles' direction. "Keep that nasty shit away from me." Myles snapped a he waved his hand in the air, trying to push the smoke away from his face.

"What's gross about cigarettes?" I asked. Dakota stepped a bit closer to me and handed me my own smoke as well as his lighter. "The smell, I can't stand the smell of them." Myles explained as he too leaned against the brick wall, still keeping his distance as all of us now hand our own cigarettes rather then just sharing one.

"Valid, the smell isn't my favourite either but they aren't that bad once you start smoking them more often. You get used to the smell." I replied whilst placing the filtered end of the smoke in between my lips and lighting the other end. "But it's good that you don't smoke, keep it that way, don't start. They're so bad for you and really addicting." I explained as I took a hit then took the smoke out of my mouth, holding it between my index and middle fingers.