Chapter 20

Quick A/n: I don't remember if I gave Maddie's dad a street name, I tried to look back but didn't find one, so I'm just gonna give him one in this chapter.

My eyes slowly started to blink open as the smell of something burning attacked my nostrils. "Daniel, what's that smell?" I asked as I started yawning, not being able to see anything due to how blurry my eyes are. "Daniel?" I called out one more time through my raspy morning voice, still not getting a response. I pushed my eyes open and sat up in my bed, my heart sinking to the bottom of my chest as my eyes darted around the room. 

Tears started welling up under my eyes as I continued looking around the familiar basement under my parents house. No way, how am I back here? Why am I back here? Was everything just one fucked up dream? I blinked my tears back and climbed off of my mattress as smoke slowly started slipping under the door and down into the basement. 

I ran across my room and up the stairs, quickly pushing open the door and turning towards the kitchen. "Oh, my god!" I screamed as my eyes quickly landed on a huge fire that started on the stove. I wasted no time dashing towards the stove and grabbing the towel that rested on the handle for the oven. As soon as I grabbed the towel I started smacking it down against the fire, quickly putting it out. 

Once the fire was completely out I turned the temperature knob to off and sighed exhaustedly, turning around and looking across the room. Nobody was home as per usual, which makes sense now. Whoever was here last must have turned the stove on to make something but then left the house without turning it off, so irresponsible. I crossed my arms over my chest as the cold air in the house started making me shiver, I forgot how freezing it always is in this house. 

I walked away from the kitchen and back down the stairs to my room, pulling open one of my dresser drawers and grabbing a pair of pants along with a sweater. As I began changing into some warmer clothes loud beeping from upstairs starting echoing through the basement, I immediately knew what that meant. My heart started aching in my chest as tears welled up under my eyes. Just calm down Maddie, breathe. 

I quickly blinked back the tears and took a deep breath before taking off up the stairs and closing the door behind me. I locked the door and shoved the key in my bra, turning towards the corner of the room and walking over to the camera. I climbed up on the couch and looked into the camera. "Yeah?" I asked shakily. "Four ounces, Sleepy's." My dad's voice echoed from the camera. The camera that he set up in the living room not only records videos but also records audio and has a mic that he can speak through, connected to his watch. 

He uses the mic on his watch to tell me if he's got any wops. "Four? But that's risky, I could get caught." I argued back. "Four, ounces." He growled angrily, not even caring that I could do serious time. "Don't make me come back to the house." He spat threateningly, my eyes widening at the thought of him coming back after I argued back. "Okay! I'll do it." I called out quickly frowning to myself when I heard the beep, meaning he was no longer connected. 

My hands started shaking, my heart started pounding inside my chest, my palms began getting sweaty and I couldn't catch my breath. I thought I'd never have to do this again. Tears started instantly streaming down my cheeks as I walked through the alley behind my house and through the abandoned park. My dad said I have to go see Sleepy, at least he's not one of my dads rude friends, Sleepy is still a bad person but at least he has respect for me. 

I pulled my hoodie a bit further down over my face as I walked out of the side street and onto the main road. The whole reason why my dad wanted me do his wops for him is because the cops would be more suspicious of a tall man wearing a mask and hoodie, with a black bag. Rather then a little girl with a purse. I don't need to wear a mask or a hood, all I have to do is keep my purse closed and have some perfume on me.