Chapter 13

1 Month Later...

Millennial had been keeping to himself for the past month, only leaving the manor for the necessary errands and missions for his mother. He knew that she was serious about her threat, and he didn't want to risk his own life or the life of his apprentice, Hanan. He spent most of his time training with Hanan, hoping to keep her safe and also keep himself occupied.

But even with all the training and focus, Millennial couldn't shake the feeling of unease that lingered in the back of his mind. He knew that Cognus was monitoring him, waiting for him to slip up. He couldn't let that happen. He had to show her that he was fully committed to the Sith and their rule of two.

One day, as Millennial was meditating in his room, he received a message from his mother via holocommunicator. It was a summons to meet with her in her study. He quickly gathered himself and made his way there, unsure of what to expect.

As he entered the study, he could feel his mother's piercing gaze upon him. "Millennial," she said, her voice cold. "I trust you have been doing some soul-searching since our last conversation".

Millennial looked at Cognus with a sense of resignation, his eyes filled with false obedience. "You were right, my master," he said, trying to hide the disdain in his voice. "I see now the importance of the rule of two. It ensures that the Sith remain strong and that there are no rogue elements that can disrupt our grand plan".

Cognus looked at him with a piercing gaze, searching for any signs of insincerity. But Millennial had always been a master at hiding his emotions and he kept his face passive and his voice steady.

"I'm glad to hear that," Cognus said, her voice devoid of emotion. "I won't hesitate to do away with those who threaten our way of life. It's for the good of the Sith, Millennial. You understand that, don't you?"

"Yes, master," Millennial replied, bowing his head in submission. "I will always put the needs of the Sith first".

But deep down, Millennial knew that his words were false. He had not changed his views on the Sith, nor the rule of two. In fact, he had grown more convinced that the current way of the Sith was wrong. He had taken on Hanan as his apprentice and he would do everything in his power to protect her, even if it meant going against his own master. But he kept these thoughts to himself, knowing that if Cognus ever found out she would have no hesitation in eliminating him.

As Cognus sat at her desk, Millennial stood nervously in front of her, awaiting her instructions. She looked up at him, her eyes piercing through his soul. "Millennial, I have a meeting with the stakeholders today," she began. "I will be discussing my plans to increase our business' profits, and how I plan to maintain the low wages of our workers. We cannot afford to lose them, but we also cannot afford to pay them more than what is necessary."

Millennial listened intently, his mind racing. He knew that his mother was a ruthless businesswoman, and her plans often had unintended consequences. However, he also knew that questioning her would not do him any good. "Understood," he said, bowing his head slightly.

Cognus stood up from her desk, walking over to Millennial. She placed a hand on his shoulder, her eyes softening slightly. "I am counting on you, my apprentice," she said. "I need you to be my eyes and ears on the ground, make sure that everything runs smoothly while I am in this meeting. Can I trust you to do that?".

"Of course, master," Millennial replied, his voice steady. "You can always count on me".

Cognus smiled, patting his cheek affectionately. "Good. Now go, I have a meeting to attend". And with that, she beckoned him out of the room, leaving Millennial standing in the hallway alone with his thoughts. It took everything he had to force himself to get a move on.