Chapter 26

Cognus and Terentous stood side by side, their faces etched with determination, as Dallin, seated at a holo-communication console, addressed the holocall participants. The flickering blue holographic figures of Senator Raela Varath, General Thadus Voss, and Ambassador Aria Talren materialized in the room, their expressions ranging from curiosity to caution.

Dallin leaned forward, his voice steady as he addressed the bewildered holocall participants. "I understand your concerns and the potential benefits of Haruun Kal joining the republic. However, upon further reflection and deliberation, I have decided to rescind the offer."

Senator Raela Varath furrowed her brow, her voice laced with disbelief. "But Dallin, this alliance could bring tremendous stability and prosperity to our respective regions. We have invested time and resources into the negotiations. Why the sudden change?"

Dallin sighed, his gaze unwavering. "I have come to realize that the best interests of Haruun Kal and its people lie in charting our own course, independent of external alliances. The republic's involvement could compromise our autonomy and undermine the unique character of our world."

General Thadus Voss chimed in, his tone laced with frustration. "Dallin, you can't dismiss the strategic advantages and security that the republic offers. We've been working towards this partnership for months."

Dallin's expression hardened. "I am aware of the potential advantages, General, but I must prioritize the long-term welfare of my people. Haruun Kal's path lies in self-determination, not as a pawn in interstellar politics."

Ambassador Aria Talren, her voice tinged with disappointment, added, "Dallin, this decision could have far-reaching consequences. We had hoped to forge a strong alliance that would benefit both Haruun Kal and the republic."

Dallin remained resolute. "I appreciate your efforts, Ambassador, but my decision is final. Haruun Kal shall navigate its own destiny, guided by our own principles and values. I hope you can understand and respect our choice."

The holocall participants exchanged glances, their expressions a mixture of disappointment and frustration. They understood that Dallin's decision was unlikely to be swayed. With a heavy sigh, Senator Raela Varath conceded, "Very well, Dallin. If that is your final stance, we shall respect your decision, though I must say, this is a most disappointing outcome."

The holographic figures flickered as the transmission ended, leaving Dallin, Cognus, and Terentous standing in the room, the weight of the decision settling upon them.

Terentous flexed his fingers, feeling the subtle hum of the mechanical components within his new prosthetic forearm. The sleek black surface was crafted from a durable alloy infused with cortosis weave, providing both strength and resistance to lightsaber strikes. The advanced servomotors allowed for precise control and a range of movements, mimicking the dexterity of his natural limb.

As he continued to adjust to the prosthetic, he couldn't help but appreciate the advantages it offered, even if it was a constant reminder of the price he had paid in his battle against Cognus.

Cognus stepped forward, her gaze fixed on Dallin as her hands slowly came together in a slow, mocking applause. A smirk played on her lips as she spoke, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "Oh, bravo, Dallin. Bravo," she taunted. "Was it really that difficult for you to make such a decision? If only you had listened to reason earlier, perhaps your fingers wouldn't be in that cast now."

Dallin's shoulders slumped, a defeated look crossing his face. He knew deep down that Cognus was right, but he couldn't bring himself to admit it openly. "I... I was hesitant, Cognus," he conceded, his voice filled with resignation. "But I see now that I should have listened to your counsel. I underestimated the consequences of my actions, and I have paid the price."