001

This is Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless, and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death.

"Astrid," I caught up with her as I put my hair up in a braid.

"Hey," she smiled, turning to face me.

It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery.

"Did you manage to convince your dad about training?" she asked as we were nearing the others.

"I did," I sighed, "Hiccup on the other hand..." I looked back to my hut; my brother having not left yet.

My village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets.

"Isn't that a good thing?" she questioned. "I mean, do we really want him there?"

"For you, maybe," I looked at my boots, kicking a rock, "now I'll always have to listen to his complaints about wanting to go..."

The only problems are the pests.

"Look who finally decided to show up," Snotlout put one foot on an overturned bucket.

"Shut up, Snotlout," Astrid and I said in unison.

"Welcome to the real world," Tuffnut sneered.

The four teens were sitting in a circle on some logs, looking at us. I ignored his comment, sitting down with Astrid.

You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have...

"DRAGONS!" a villager yelled out, pointing to the flock of dragons swarming Berk.

"Alright, gang," I looked back at the group, "let's get to work!"

Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues.

We all grabbed a bucket, running to the well to fill it up with water.

"Go, go, go!" Astrid shouted, watching as many houses started catching fire.

My name's Iris. My twin brother is Hiccup. Great name, I know. But it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.

"So, Iris," Snotlout came to my side, "I was thinking that maybe sometime after this we could grab some food, head back to my place?"

Snotlout's always had a crush on Astrid and me. No matter how many times we say no, he just keeps trying.

"That one!" Ruffnut tells us, pointing to a house that looks salvageable.

As we were going towards it, I spotted a larger Viking lecturing Hiccup out of the corner of my eye.

That's Stoick the Vast. Chief of the tribe. They say that when he was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off of its shoulders.

He threw a cart at a dragon in the air, knocking it out of the sky.

Do I believe it? Yes, I do.

We tossed our water at the burning house, putting the flames out. I looked back over to Hiccup, finally pleased to watch him going to the Blacksmiths stall where he belonged.

"Great job, guys!" I congratulated the group, but it was short-lived when another house set up in flames. "Let's go!"

See? Old village, lots of new houses.

"How long are we going to keep this up?" Fishlegs gasped for air.

"Do you want to disappoint the Village?" Astrid asked him, to which he didn't respond to. "Didn't think so..."