002

"Iris, you might wanna stay with me when we start," Snotlout walked in front of me, "things might get dangerous."

I took him by the helmet and shoved him out of my way.

"Yeah, sure," I looked over at him.

"Still hoping for that Zippleback," Tuffnut grinned.

"Still think you're weird," I countered.

"Guys, c'mon, we don't want to be late," Astrid told us, running ahead.

I ran, too, catching up with her. Behind us, the others were running as well, but Snotlout tripped Fishlegs, delaying them. It turned into a domino effect because the Twins then knocked into Fishlegs, causing them to fall, too. Snotlout was standing over them, laughing, until Ruffnut grabbed him and threw him to the floor.

"Keep walking, it's best if we just ignore it," Astrid whispered to me.

"Agreed," I responded, and we finally got to the gate, the others finally catching up.

Gobber was waiting by the Arena, leaning against the wall.

"Welcome to Dragon Training!" Gobber exclaimed, opening the gate.

"No turning back," Astrid said as we entered, looking around.

We all had some sort of weapon in hand, and mine was my sword.

"Nope," I said, glancing at the grey sky above us.

"I hope I get some serious burns!" Tuffnut stated, sounding excited.

"I thought you wanted to get blown to Gothi's hut?" I looked back at him.

"Yeah, that too," he said.

"I'm hoping for some mauling," Ruffnut interrupted, "like on my shoulder, or lower back."

"Yeah," Astrid agreed.

"It's only fun if you get a scar out of it," I finished for her.

"Yeah, no kidding, right?" my brother said in a sarcastic tone behind us. "Pain. Love it."

"Oh, great," Tuff rolled his eyes, "who let him in?"

"Let's get started!" Gobber stopped our conversation. "The recruit who does best will win the honor of killing his first dragon in front of the entire village."

"Or her," Astrid whispered to me, to which I nodded.

My thoughts were mainly on Hiccup, and I was confused on how and why Dad let him come.

"Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so, does that disqualify him or...?" Snotlout snickered.

"Can I transfer to the class with the cool Vikings?" Tuff joked.

I walked over to my brother, grabbing his shoulder.

"What're you doing here?" I whispered to him.

"Dad talked to me last night," he told me, "he said I could."

I sighed and rolled my eyes.

"Of course..." I pinched the bridge of my nose, "just don't die."

Looking at him one last time, I ran back over to Astrid, where she and the others were standing in the middle of the Arena.

"Behind these doors are just a few of the many species you will learn to fight!" Gobber walked in front of us. "The Deadly Nadder!"

"Speed: eight; Armor: sixteen," Fishlegs whispered to Hiccup.