004

"...And with one twist, he took my hand, and swallowed it whole. And I saw the look on his face: I was delicious," Gobber continued his rather gruesome story, "He must have passed the word, because it wasn't a month before another one of them took my leg."

"Isn't it weird to think that your hand was inside a dragon? Like if your mind was still in control of it," Fishlegs said, "you could have killed the dragon from the inside by... crushing his heart, or something."

"I'd kiss Snotlout on the lips if that ever happened," I chuckled, elbowing Astrid lightly.

"I swear, I'm so angry right now! I'll avenge your beautiful hand and your beautiful foot. I'll chop off the legs of every dragon I fight. With my face!" Snotlout said angrily. "I- wait, Iris, really? Tuffnut, quick! Have a dragon eat your hand and kill it from the inside!"

Tuff looked from his hand, and up to his sister with a confused look on his face.

"Nah-uh. It's the wings and the tails you really want. If it can't fly, it can't get away. A downed dragon is a dead dragon." Gobber corrected him, demonstrating on his chicken. Hiccup and I looked at each other, our minds going to the Night Furies in the cove. "Alright. I'm off to bed. You should be, too. Tomorrow, we get to the big boys. Slowly but surely making our way up to the Monstrous Nightmare. But who'll win the honor of killing it?"

"It's gonna be me. It's my destiny," Tuff said, leaning back in his seat, "see?" He lifted the side of his shirt to reveal a dragon tattoo.

"Your mom let you get a tattoo?" Fishlegs gasped.

"It's not a tattoo. It's a birthmark," Tuffnut glanced at me, like he was trying to convince me the most.

"Okay, I've been stuck with you since birth, and that was never there before," Ruffnut looked at her twin, annoyed at his lie.

"Yes, it was. You've just never seen me from the left side until now," Tuff responded, even more annoyed than her.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Hiccup run out of the watch tower. Astrid was about to get up to follow him, but I grabbed her arm, pulling her back.

"Don't," I told her, "It's not worth it."

"Fine, but you should try to do something about him before he gets himself killed," she said, sitting back down.

"I know, I know," I sighed, looking in the direction he went. 

xxx

I walked into the Blacksmiths stall, finding Hiccup working away at something.

"What're you making?" I asked, sitting down next to him at the desk.

"A tail for Toothless," he pointed to his drawings in his notebook.

"Toothless?" I questioned, looking to where he was pointing.

"That's what I named him," he turned to me, "you should name the other one."

"Oh, yeah," I flipped through his book, "I already named her Comet."

He nodded, stitching up something on the tail.

"So..." I peeked over his shoulder, "how is this gonna work?"

"Hopefully once I put this on him it'll allow him to fly again," he extends the leather part of the fin, holding it up.

"Alright," I agree, standing up, "let's get to bed. Maybe if we wake up early enough, we can go see the dragons."

"Sounds good," he nods, tucking his project away so no one else saw.