13. Short

"She woke up to a wretched stench. What was going on? Rather than her usual slow sorrowful exit, she practically leaped out of bed. In the kitchen were her brothers."

Yes. That's the end of the chapter. And yes, that  one paragraph was the entire chapter.

Alright, so obviously this example already reeks of clichés, but I'm more focused on its length this chapter. Now, it's difficult to find a work that actually has one paragraph chapters—unless you're looking at poems which aren't meant to be that long—but this is an extreme exaggeration as my examples usually are.

I've seen some that are less than a hundred words long, and they're just so disappointing. Cliffhangers are fine and I love them. But at least hand me a good enough chapter to want a cliffhanger!

You might be wondering "Coffee, this is so hypocritical. Your own chapters are like a hundred words long!" And to that I say: They're supposed to be. I'm giving you a relatable nugget everyday not a tiny novel bit once every month! The quote unquote "stories," are completely different; the same way poems are.

Besides, even if I was invested in your story, would anyone really want to wait for so little of your characters?

I get it, honestly. Writing is hard and takes what seems to be an eternity, but good works take time. And good readers will wait for you.

~•~

238 words

"People are actually reading this... why does that make me happy and scared at the same time? I feel seen. Vote and comment your thoughts, and I'll see you next chapter!"

- Coffee