21

CHAPTER 21

"Master, you should eat..." Mieruko said with a soft tone in her voice as she laid the tray of food for her master: the cat. But the cat remained seated on the edge of the engawa*, watching the shishi-odoshi fountain* flanking from time to time as if that was the most interesting thing in this place. "It's been eight months... you should—"

"Have you lost your hope?" The cat mumbled with a voice so weak.

Mieruko bit her inner lip as her eyes darted on the burnt marks on her hands.

"Did you forget about her?"

"I... I will never forget." She replied. How could she forget someone who just saved her life twice. "But we have to face the reality, Master. I know this is hard for you as much as it hurts for me but we need you. The Sohei* have laid their clairvoyance to us... even they are getting desperate. They need every help they can get. Black Lio—"

"You know what..." The cat murmured as though he didn't hear her. "I should have been there during the farewell ceremony of the appeasements, I could have stopped her."

"No, I-I should not have let her near me, it's me who should be punished and—"

"Stop." Cat remained seated and unmovable in his position. "Y/n would never like it if you continue to sulk. Don't let her sacrifice be in vain."

With a shaky voice, Mieruko replied, "Y-You are correct."

— *** —

"Are you sure about this?" Y/n asked as she stood in front of the red panda while they stood in front of the wooden bridge.

"I am more than sure, Y/n." The red panda replied as it nestled on the basket.

Y/n was quite worried about this sudden decision of Sukuna. She was sure that he was only doing it because he was still under the influence of some love potion, and if he was to wake up from that... it would be an utter hell not only for her but to all the people around her.

However, she couldn't let this chance pass. This was the only time she could get him to return Gojo back to his form. "I need to move quickly before the spell runs out."

— *** —

It was an utter hell to Y/n.

The way from the Gojo Estate to the Cursed Mountain took a whole day before they arrived and in such distance, it would take a toll on them since they only have their feet to help them.

"I have not walked such a distance in my entire life!" Y/n screamed as she dropped her bum on the rock. "I'm tired! Is there anyone who would pass by this place that can give us a ride... free ride."

"Impossible." Sukuna muttered, still having the strength to go on. "But if I can be in my nine-tail form, it will be much easier."

"No." Y/n replied in a deadpanned voice.

"Then we have no choice but to take things rather slow or will exhaust ourselves." Sukuna said as he jumped to sit beside her.

"Say, how long would you think it would take for us to get to Gojo Estate at this pace?"

"Around two or three days..."

"Why didn't you say so?!" Y/n screamed while rubbing her head aggressively. "I should have taken more food for us!"

Sukuna only hummed, mindlessly wiggling his tail in the air.

Y/n sighed from the sight of this unbothered one. She was watching him beside her as his furry ears twitched from time to time. And that's when a bright idea occurred in her head, "What if... you transformed into a bigger red panda and I will ride you? That's good isn't it?" She grinned at him.