38

CHAPTER 38

"Aunt Y/n, why are you yelling?" asked by an innocent and tiny voice of a girl. "We can hear you from downstairs."

Y/n's eyes were wide as though she never wanted to open it in the first place but was forced to do so as she stared at her ceiling. Her body felt so heavy as if she was sore all over from a marathon. Her breathing was shallow as she kept her eyes on the rosy ceiling, she knew her eyes were leaking water that threaded to the side of her face but her arms were too heavy to lift to wipe it off, thus, she let it cascade.

"Auntie?"

Y/n took every ounce of her strength to tilt her head and looked at the little girl standing beside the bed where she was lying, "Mieruko," she said but no voice came out like it was lost from screaming too much.

"Are you okay?" The little girl climbed up the bed and wiped the tears from her cheeks with her little hands. Now that she was close, she could see the resemblance to Mieruko in her dreams.

I am back.

She was dying to go back on this timeline but right now that she was here— along with her family— she would do anything to have even a minute to go to the world she didn't know if it ever existed.

"Are you sick?" Questions after questions but no answer was said. "I will call Momma, wait here."

Mieruko was about to climb down when Y/n pulled her in a tight hug. "I'm back, Auntie's back..."

"Huh? Have you gone somewhere?" the kid asked as she enjoyed her hug from the back. "You're freaking me out." Mieruko cackled as she reached for her face on top of her head. And when she lifted her arms, Y/n caught a glimpse of her upper arms and legs where she saw it with thin white lines.

She pulled her away for a minute and looked closer at the white thread on her skin which she didn't remember her niece had. "What's this? Where did you get this?" She asked while thumbing that white line on her upper arm and legs.

"It's my birthmark. Why? Don't act like you didn't know this." Mieruko sassily retorted before jumping away from her. "You're weird! I'm telling Momma you're taking drugs." Then she ran.

However, she was still lacking strength to even stand up from her bed. Her heart was as heavy as her body right now and she knew that even if she took the whole day to rest, it wouldn't be enough. Her eyes started to swell but she refused to let it out by biting her lower lip a little tighter. She felt that stinging pain when her teeth dig on her flesh, a harsh sign that she was indeed awake.

However, she couldn't stand it anymore, she cupped her mouth to make sure that her sobs were constricted. She dropped on her bed once again but this time gripping the shirt above her heart and howling on her arm. Her breaths were staggered for she didn't know whether to gasp for air let out that wails.

She wanted to believe that this was all dreams, that it was not real but why...

Why does it hurt so bad? If it was not real how can it hurt so bad?

She motioned her body to lie on her side, pulling her knees up to her chest while crying silently. Her tears had veiled her vision but despite that, she saw the color of her pillow, it was pink.

She pulled it close to her chest and hugged it so tight for that was the only thing closest to what was hers.

"Momma! Y/n is being weird, she's taking drugs for sure!" Mieruko ran downstairs to the kitchen where her momma was cooking their breakfast.

"What?! Is that true?" Utahime put her hand over her hips while the other held a spatula. Her eyes were of shock and anger. "Am I hearing it right?"

"Yes! She was all crying and yelling and her eyes were so red! She's mad." Mieruko exaggeratedly pulled the skin below her eyes to show the red part of the flesh.