26

CHAPTER 26

"Are you sure you can do this?" Mieruko hissed.

"W-Why are you hesitating? Are you doubting the capabilities of your aunt?" She slurred.

"You're not my aunt." Mieruko sighed.

Mieruko sat on Y/n's left side just a few steps back from her aunt who was facing the scowling Chief and a chess board in between them with his henchmen behind him.

The Chief was goaded by the power and authority Sukuna's members could give him. To Sukuna, that was how gullible humans were for they were ready to face everything for a speck of power.

The Chief agreed on the bet however, his lackeys would have to watch the match and Sukuna should get out and don't get near them since his presence was distracting. It was not hard for Sukuna to agree to such a request but of course, he left Y/n under the care of Mieruko before he left.

"Toss coin. This will dictate what pieces will be your domain." Said by the adjudicator. "Call your bets when the coin is in the air. The victor of this toss coin will have the first move." He then tossed the coin in the air.

"Heads!"

"Heads! — the hell! Tails, then!" Y/n grumbled.

The coin landed with a soft metallic thud on the wooden chess board before it spins for a couple of seconds and finally lands on...

"Heads." The old adjudicator said. "This game is best two out of three."

The Chief smirked while Y/n tsk.

It was given that whoever made the first move, they got the first step ahead of planning which was an absolute advantage in anything, even at war.

Y/n just lost that advantage.

"Here I go..." the chief mumbled before moving a white knight in front of a pawn. "Take your move, lady." He chuckled. His fellow also giggled as if they already knew who was the victor.

The fight between black and white pieces began. Chief was smiling the whole time while Y/n had a poker face on.

Their pieces began to eat each other. "What are you doing? You're just making me eat all your pieces." The Chief commented as he put the white knight in the place of a black rook. "That's checkmate, lady." He cackled as well as the men behind her.

Mieruko only sighed as this was expected. Y/n didn't have the knowledge about chess, these men in the room were well-educated about this kind of field, they have been playing chess all their lives.

"The winner of the first game, Chief Okkutsu." The Adjudicator said. "Loser, arrange the pieces for the second match."

Y/n obeyed him and arranged the pieces, it's an exchange of pieces now. White for her side and black for the Chief.

"Second game, start."

Y/n put the white pawn two boxes forward. "Well, we are just starting."

"A mere pawn can't do anything, lady."

The Chief had his own way with his pieces and Y/n had too, however, this time the Chief was losing his grasp in the game. He couldn't devour her pieces since pawns were there to support the officials and yet if he didn't move, he'd be eaten anyway.

Sweat began to form on the side of his face as their fight continued, however, before he knew it...

"Checkmate." Y/n had already two black queens cornering the white king. "Don't forget that only the 'mere' pawn can become queen. Kings may be important in this game, but queens are more powerful."