Chapter 5

☘️

"This is one of our unique and limited edition outfits. Go ahead, take a look!"

As early as you had woken up, a lot of places were already open in Sumeru city. Once you were walking along the sidewalk and reminiscing of your time here, you found yourself approaching a clothing store, which is exactly what you needed.

The woman who ran the shop saw you approaching and took the opportunity to greet you and introduce you to some bestsellers. She mainly had your focus on an outfit that no one had yet to purchase because of its price; it was one of a kind as well.

"How much is it?" You asked.

"50000." She replied with a straight faced smile.

"Alright." You sifted through your pouch, pulling out the mora from it.

The woman stumbled, looking at you with a surprised face. "W-Wait! You're actually going to buy this?!"

"Yes..." You stated. You didn't have much time left before you needed to head off, and the outfit was too appealing to not purchase. Your travels over the years had you practically bleeding mora. If you had to estimate, you'd probably guess you had earned around 5 million mora.

"Um..." The woman blinked with wide eyes as you handed her the exact amount over the counter. "L-Let me get it wrapped up for you!"

You waited for her return while you walked around to gaze at other merchandise. You had picked up some soap and perfume, along with other body products such as lotion, oil and hair products. Walking back to the counter, you set them down as the woman finally approached you with a large box.

After adding the rest of your items to your cost, you walked out of the shop, not daring to stop at look at the other places that were catching your eye.

You hurried back to the house, quickly opening the door and closing it. You dashed to your room, realizing that noon was growing close.

Alhaitham watched you rush from one door to the next with various things in your arms. He had poured himself some more coffee, slowly taking his eyes off his book every time you reappeared in his line of sight.

☘️

"You're here!"

You held your chest, trying to hide your panting breath. Your entire morning had gone by in a blur, and you wanted nothing more than to just fill your stomach up until you were sent into a food coma.

The Dendro Archon sat at a rounded table you approached, swaying her feet above the ground. You took the seat opposite of her, looking down at the plates of food that made your mouth water.

"Good morning." You said, smiling and trying to hide your hunger. "It's really nice to sit down and share this moment with you."

"Don't worry about it. I love interacting with everyone!" She said, grabbing a glass of orange juice. "I'm sure you're wondering why I asked you to meet me here."

You hummed at her response. "It has been on my mind." You grabbed your fork, looking at the scrambled eggs and pancakes sitting before you.

"Well, let's take it slow." She said, clearing her throat. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course." You replied.

"What do you make of the ancient runes in Sumeru?"

You thought about her question. "That would depend on what you're referring to. Sumeru as a whole, or a more specific region?"

"Hm..." She giggled. "...The Desert of Hadramaveth."

Your eyes twinkled at her response.

"The Hadramaveth region is all too amazing! The ley lines that flow through there give the mechanics unique elemental properties that react to those with visions or with the power to manipulate the elements! The runes there come from ancient civilizations that relied on mechanisms to get through their daily lives. The mysteries and secrets that are covered up by those mechanisms can only be revealed through tedious elemental work but it is truly worth—"

You stopped yourself, realizing that you were going into a full blown rant.

The Dendro Archon looked at you with a smile. She giggled again, making you grow quiet.

"Sorry..." You apologized. "I get excited when something I know about gets brought up..."

"There's nothing to apologize for." She said. "If anything, everything you said was spot on."

"Really?" You replied, blushing. "I was hoping it was..."

"You're too humble." She held a hand on her heart. "I'd like to ask you another question."

"Yes?"

"If you were suddenly given the power and position of an Archon... what would you do?"

You found her question to be very strange. Of course, there was no way that you could become an Archon. But you found yourself thinking about it, wondering exactly what you would do if you held that responsibility.

"...I feel like the most important part an Archon can play is being involved with the people. The people make the nation they are governing. So if I were an Archon, I would more than likely place all my focus onto their concerns and beliefs before I involve myself with other political affairs or events."

"...That's exactly what I would say." She stood up from her seat, making you look up.

Looking at her with a puzzled face, she placed her two hands together and brought about a big smile.

"Would you, Y/N L/N, care to become a Sage?"