Chapter 12

☘️

"Thanks."

Alhaitham had guided you into his room and pulled out a shirt from his dresser. It was a long sleeve black shirt that was large enough for you to practically wear as a dress.

"No worries. You should go out to get more clothes, though." Alhaitham said.

You nodded. "Yeah. Trying to wear Kaveh's clothes all the time is just going to bum me out."

Alhaitham looked down at you, trying to force a statement down his throat. He couldn't hold it back though, and his tongue was too fast to catch. "...I don't mind you borrowing my clothes."

You laughed. "It's alright."

You examined his room for a quick second. As expected, it was neat and organized, with a large bookshelf settled in the corner. His bed was made and it smelled like cologne and flowers. It was also warmer in there opposed to the rest of the house.

When your eyes landed on his desk, you noticed the small picture frame sitting in the corner.

"...Isn't that our graduation photo?" You asked, walking over to it.

"...Yeah." He responded, watching you pick it up.

"Ew. I looked horrible." You joked. "My eye bags were terrible."

"What do you mean? You look fine." Alhaitham walked behind you, looking down at the photo. "If anything, we all looked like that."

You laughed. "Those all nighters we pulled really shows in this."

"The Freshman 15 I had was still there too." He said.

You giggled. Alhaitham was way more chunky back in school than he is now. You had no idea where he even got his muscles from.

You looked at his arms. "Did you workout or something while I was gone?"

"Yes and no." He responded. "The years of writing, lifting, and some occasional battles just grew on me."

You smiled, looking up at his head piece. "Still listening to Mozart, though."

"It's comforting." He retorted.

"Yeah, yeah." You let out another laugh, placing the frame back down.

As you did so, your towel had loosened up and fell off your chest. You yelped in response, trying to quickly catch it before your entire body was exposed.

Alhaitham's arms wrapped around you, catching the fabric before you did. He gently pulled it back up, holding the knot tightly over your chest.

You sighed. "Thanks. I should get changed before we talk about the plan."

"Yeah..." Alhaitham took his eyes off you, waiting for you to tie the knot back on your towel.

You walked out holding his shirt, closing the door. Alhaitham sighed and looked back at the frame sitting on his desk.

Letting a soft smile come out, he looked at the picture of you, happy and cheerful of your graduation.

...

"...And that's it. As long as we can recover the goods, we're basically 10 steps ahead of them."

After discussing the plan with Kaveh, you were all sitting in the living room trying to make sure that the mission would carry out smoothly. Although Kaveh felt the need to let this rely on you, he also knew that you were very busy and wanted to pull some weight off your shoulders.

"And how am I supposed to know I'm securing the right shipment?" Kaveh asked, sipping on some wine.

"It should be labeled with a false stamp. Here are pictures of what the correct stamps look like." Alhaitham pulled a slip of paper from his pocket, sliding it across the table.

Kaveh picked it up, examining the pictures. "...Ugh, the trouble of free labor gets to me again..."

You giggled. "And whose fault is that?"

"Back to the discussion. Y/N, you need to be cautious about anyone that enters your office from now on." Alhaitham said.

"Because of what that man said?" You asked.

He nodded. Kaveh spoke up. "Wait, am I missing something?"

You sighed. "That man was talking about me during his conversation with Reza. He kept saying how I would be of some assist to their plan."

Kaveh looked back down at the slip of paper. "But you've barely been here a week..."

"Exactly. I don't know why they think I'll be useful to them and I barely know the details about what has happened."

Alhaitham shook his head. "That's why you're useful to them. It's purely because you were absent during Sumeru's drastic change and they know that they can manipulate your status for their plan."

"So, in other words, this 'converted knowledge' could be used against her?" Kaveh pressed a worried look onto his face. "And what even is this converted knowledge?"

"That's what we need to figure out. Once we secure the shipment, all the answers can be found within it." Alhaitham stood up. "It's getting late. We need to still work as if we don't know about this situation."

"Alright. Y/N, can you help me tidy up the kitchen?" Kaveh asked.

"Sure."

Alhaitham walked off to his room, while you and Kaveh started. cleaning up the kitchen.

"Hey, so, I have something I'd like to ask you..." Kaveh placed down the plate he was drying, watching you sort cups into a cabinet.

"...About?" You asked.

"...Well, first and foremost... what exactly did you do with that card you gave Alhaitham that day?"

You looked back at Kaveh. "...Why?"

Kaveh let out a nervous laugh. "W-Well, I was just interested in why that blockhead would reject you."

You sighed. "I think I left it at my old desk in the Akademiya. Since it's been cleared out, I have no idea of its whereabouts now."

Kaveh scratched the back of his head, side eyeing you. "So, in other words... it's probably still at the Akademiya?"

You shrugged. "From what I know, any unknown belongings get sent to 'lost and found'. They've probably cleared it out though. I was lucky enough to get back a lot of what I left here."

"Ah, that's— *ahem*... good." Picking up the towel, he continued to dry off the next set of plates.

As you sorted and organized the cabinets more, Kaveh found himself wondering just what exactly happened with your love letter.

And after you finished tidying up the kitchen...

He decided that he was going to get to the bottom of the matter himself.