Chapter 6

☘️

"...and that's what happened."

You were busy helping Kaveh move around various wooden objects across an old bridge. He had many sketches and designs chalked up from his mechanic suitcase, and after talking it over with one of the merchants, a final design was decided upon.

You had told Kaveh about your meeting with the Dendro Archon, and her request to make you a Sage. The question was very sudden, and she seemed to understand your hesitation. She said that she would give you time to think it over, and when you were ready, you could find her in the Sanctuary of Surasthana. She had also asked you to address her as 'Nahida'.

"So, are you going to do it?" Kaveh asked while moving a wooden rail over to the side.

"I don't know..." You responded. "Being a Sage is a lot of work."

"Yeah, but Y/N, you're amazing! You took on a three year commission and came back with a chock full of research that not even the Akademiya held! Not to mention you'll still be under your own major, just with more authority!" Kaveh explained, bumping your arm. "You said you didn't know what you were going to do. Now's your chance!"

You sighed, letting a soft smile form from your lips. "Yeah... you're right."

"Of course I am. Now help me examine this... is it crooked?"

Laughing, you stepped to his side to help him straighten the wooden railing of the new bridge.

...

Time had passed quickly while you and Kaveh finished setting everything up for the bridge. It looked really nice after everything was put together, and when the paint job was done, you knew it would earn Kaveh some good mora.

Well, as long as he didn't get talked into a discount, that is.

"Let's head back. I'm bummed..." Kaveh yawned, throwing his arm around you.

You giggled, hoisting him up as the two of you headed back to the city.

The warm breeze in the air felt nice, and you weren't exactly ready to go back inside once you and Kaveh arrived at the house. You told him to give you a few minutes before you walked in so you could bask in the breeze.

Sitting down on the bench outside, you sighed as you breathed in the city air. It was a pleasant smell, and it relaxed your body from a lot of built up tension.

The door to the house opened and closed, making you turn your head to see if Kaveh was checking up on you.

But instead, you were greeted by Alhaitham.

"..." You remained quiet, not daring to make it appear as if you had noticed him.

"Hey."

Your body jolted at his voice. Looking up, you noticed how he was dressed in an informal matter.

"Hi..." You said, looking back out over the city.

"Are you going back to the Akademiya soon?" He asked.

"Tomorrow." You replied.

"..."

You watched him walk over to you, which you thought he did to grab your attention. But instead, he sat on the bench, crossing one leg over the other as he opened a book and began reading.

It seemed that this was routine for him. Even though the two of you had a good distance between each other, you felt like you could feel his body brush onto yours.